Stress Zyme = 2 Weeks Fully Cycle Tank?

Mercury2234

Reaction score
I went to #99###.com and they recommended several products onto which you can fully your cycle your tank within a week... The name of the products are SafeStart, Biospara and Stress Zyme. Supposebly they are live bacterias that are used to help create beneficial ones...Anyhoo, my local fish store recommended I get a bottle of this to speed up the cycle, in addition of a few zebra danios and increasing the temperature.

Anybody has any experience with this? I have also called a very large fish store (the best one by far, very knowledgeable staff) thats about 1:30hrs away and they swear that this stuff works...

Everyone on here is going to tell you to forget that stuff and just use the normal ammonia route. Bacteria cannot be stored in a bottle the way it is sold in lfs.

Yes, our forum is famous for being the place where everybody comes to find out what to do after they realize that didn't work. :)

its just another way of making money from those not in the know :angry: look at the pinned cycle topic on this forum, if you have fish already then you will need to read the "fish in cycle", if you have no fish then read the other method of adding ammonia until the filter matures :good:

#41#### IT... Lately going to the fish store has been like a routine oil change..."new tire, new battery, etc..etc..."

Anyhoo, good stuff all...thanks for the info;

One more question, I have an Emperor 280 external filter for my 30 gallon...do i still need an airstone? I am puzzled because I assumed you didnt, but I just saw a video by Tetra and they said to have BOTH filters and airstone...

HMM...skip ahead to 2:04

youtube.com/watch?v=eCoIfwbOe1w&NR=1

if your filter has a spray bar or something on the outlet that can be moved/turned so it causes ripples on the surface of the water then an air stone isnt needed. air stones just provide surface movement to allow gas exchange which can be done with your filter outlet. unless you fancy a wall/ring/line of bubbles for looks then theyre not really needed. although its always a good idea to have one if meds are used or at higher temps to increase gas exchange and help the fish breath a bit easier.

You will be much better listening to people on here rather than your lfs, members on here dont want anything apart from the best for your fish whereas your lfs are only after your money. Like you said, everytime you go into your lfs they will try tell you that you need something else for your tank, at the end of the day they are their to make a profit.

The bacteria in a bottle products in general dont work, no doubt there was live bacteria in them at some point, but bacteria require a food source and oxygen to survive, neither of which they are getting sat on a shelf for months on end. There are a few people who have noted that they have a few good results using these products but the difference they make in any isnt great enough to warrant spending money on them.

No you dont need an airstone as long as your filter outlet is creating water disturbance on the surface. Air stones are really for asthetic purposes only, the air bubbles raise to the surface then pop so they dont really create any oxygen as such, they can be used to ariate the water when dosing medications for illness.

Andy

No good. The only product that was ever proven to work was called Bio Spira, however that was stopped in production about 3 or so years ago. This product really worked containing live bacteria. The package was kept in a refrigerator or something to keep it cold. Since it had live bacteria, the colder temperature made the bacteria to have a slower metabolism allowing for about a one year shelf life.

Other than that though, other products that claim they work are useless. Just another way to separate you from your money!

-FHM

I have one of the model 280 filters and it definitely creates enough surface agitation that I do not need an air stone in my tank. The tank that I am running it on is only a 20H and is slightly overstocked, my endlers just refuse to listen when I tell them to stop breeding.

How about this Bactinettes stuff, not sure on the speeling, but my lfs has this in a fridge and they use it and swear by the stuff.

Bactinettes are one of the few products that we sometimes see work, if they are freshly arrived at the store when you get them. They are not available where I live, so I have no personal experience with them.

RE Airstones
No you don't need one as others have said. I turn the filter outlets on all my tanks up just above the surface so water flows down like a mini waterfall creating surface ripples and bubbles which keep all my tanks nicely oxygenated. Learnt this tip from a Forum member -can't remmeber who, but thank you so much on behalf of my fish.

Hello, the only product I have had slight success with is Dr. Tim's one and only bacteria product. When I say slight success, truthfully, I don't really think it helped that much. It appears that it may have cut off 3-4 days, tops, of the cycling process, but it certainly did not cycle the tank with in 2 weeks, or instantly as advertised. Most of those bacteria in a bottle products don't work and are just a waste of money. If you do decide to try one, then definitely stay away from the products that require multiple dosing over a few days or weeks, those DO NOT work. Your best bet is one that requires a single dose such as Dr. Tims or Tetra Safe Start, but again, even these single dose products really do not do much. Basically, try if you want but don't expect miracles.

Most reactions

Back