Strangest looking fish.......

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wish I could draw a picture of the creature. A white, cylinder shaped, and extremely unusual eyes. The eyes were more on the front of the head than on the sides. They appeared to have a cornea and lens, similiar to my conures' ( my bird ) eyes. Not flat and close to the head, or round and extended like the puffers or specialty goldfish. I have looked at
cucumbers, eels, puffers, sea snakes... It did not look reptilian. Just like a white cigar with a face.
I have spent hours looking at fish from all over the world.
I am getting fish eyed myself!!!! :rolleyes:
Thanks all,
Tristen

Ok, lets get a photofit going:

eyes:
colour?
pupil shape?
size in relation to face?
how close together?

nares:
how close together?
how close to the eyes?
what shape?

mouth:
wide or narrow?
lips or lipless?
turns up at the corners (like a puffer) or down (like a goby)?
visible teeth?

face shape:
flat like a human or snouted like a dog?
visible gill slits?

body:
any other colours or patterns?
tapered at the end?
any caudal fin?

Answer these questions and I'll draw up an illustration based on your description.

I want to know what this is!

Ok this is bugging me now. I've done a drawing based on the original description.
Is this anything like it?

I found this pic on the net - is this anything like it?

weirdfish1.bmp.jpg

Ok, so i have an obsessive personality!! Here are some more results of 'trawls' - Blennies. I know these aren't white, but apparently there are lots of different types?

a-blen-016.jpeg
a-blen-023.jpeg
a-blen-040.jpeg

Are we getting anywhere near?

Sarah

PS - Just realised MAM has already suggested gobies and blennies...d'oh!!

I love that picture, Sir Minion. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry if I haven't been checking my mail here until I recieved a PM.
Ok, the fish did not have a stupid look on its face, it was cute. But the picture is so damn close. I didn't see any tail, but my son said it must have had fins. It looked like a floating cigar!!!!
How do I draw a picture of it I can upload?
Tristen

This has been a wonderful contest.
After looking at thousands of photos on the web, I actually googled Cute and Fish.
There I found a description of a fish with large eyes that follow you, look cuddly,
and people want to take them out of the tank and squeeze them,and appear to hover.
The fish that fit my criteria was a PUFFER. As Sir Minion said, baby puffers can be white and when they swim their fins aren't noticable. My son thinks a baby puffer may, be the answer, but he isn't sure, as no puffer I have seen is quite so cute.
Many guessed a puffer, but I thought of the spiny, ugly, puffed up puffers.
So what do you all think?
A baby puffer? It was alone in the tank, which makes sense for a puffer. But I don't want to put one in my tank!
Arbok
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back