Strangest looking fish.......

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

arbok

Reaction score
Hi,
This is not a joke.
I fell in love with a very strange fish at an aquarium. It looked like a white cylinder, maybe one inch wide and three inches long. It appeared to be finless and gill- less.
It had big eyes on the front of its face, nares and a mouth! The eyes were unlike any fish eyes I have ever seen, and this swimming head was looking right at me. My son remembers it being in a saltwater tank.
I have looked in snakes, eels and worms. Maybe it was a baby something. Has anybody come across a fish matching this description? I assume it would be very rare...and difficult to own. I would be happy with just a photo of one.
Thank you,
Ruth

Hmm.. not easy really. Could perhaps be a Cowfish, Puffer or Boxfish? These are quite odd shapes when compared to regular fish.

My son remembers the eyes could follow you, which is what freaked me out.
I have checked so many species, I believe it has to be a baby of some type. What fish/ creature has eyes that can follow movement...., looks like a short white floating cigar, has a small snout with nares, and eyes that watch you!

I wish it was that easy!
How about a white cigar, half smoked, with two eyes that can follow you, somehow moving around in a saltwater tank. Oh my God, it was so cute!!! But it probably eats kittens for snacks.
:rolleyes:

definatly not a ramora, if it was he would have mentioned that it looks like its upside down or that its got a suction cup on its head, plus they have fins and are fast and annoying

dead_slade said:
it looks like its upside down or that its got a suction cup on its head, plus they have fins and are fast and annoying
I saw a remora for the first time recently at a new lfs. I stared for ages but I still couldn't work out which way was 'up'

Truly a bizzare fish.

arbok said:
It looked like a white cylinder, maybe one inch wide and three inches long. It appeared to be finless and gill- less.
It had big eyes on the front of its face, nares and a mouth! The eyes were unlike any fish eyes I have ever seen, and this swimming head was looking right at me. My son remembers it being in a saltwater tank.
I suddenly thought... could it be some sort of squid or cuttlefish?

I wish I could draw a picture of the creature. A white, cylinder shaped, and extremely unusual eyes. The eyes were more on the front of the head than on the sides. They appeared to have a cornea and lens, similiar to my conures' ( my bird ) eyes. Not flat and close to the head, or round and extended like the puffers or specialty goldfish. I have looked at
cucumbers, eels, puffers, sea snakes... It did not look reptilian. Just like a white cigar with a face.
I have spent hours looking at fish from all over the world.
I am getting fish eyed myself!!!! :rolleyes:
Thanks all,
Tristen

Most reactions

Back