Strange Nitrite Tests

flash22

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i am just doing my second fishless cycle

i am getting some strange nitrite results. starts out light blue then turns to purple after a few Min's whats not on the card but i am getting a nitrate (last time it turned purple in the bottom of the tube = off scale)

Ph 7.4
Nitrate 30-40
Ammonia 0-4 depending (Ammonia is dropping in 8-9 hours)

nearlly forgot i am using an Api liquid test kit

With API kit, when the nitrite is very high, the color will turn to either green or clear after a very short time. If you put the drops in and they immediately turn purple in the bottom of the tube even before you have a chance to shake it up, then your nitrite is off the chart high.

thats what i had before with the last tank had a few days like that this time but all i seem to get now is light blue 2-3 mins later it turns purple (same colour as off-scale)

I would say it is still correct. When I was cycling, there was a time early in the process when my tests did that. Then as the level got higher the drops started turning immediately purple.

With API kit, when the nitrite is very high, the color will turn to either green or clear after a very short time. If you put the drops in and they immediately turn purple in the bottom of the tube even before you have a chance to shake it up, then your nitrite is off the chart high.

Mine turns dark blue on the buttom and then disappears before I even shake ...does this mean the nitrite is there somewhere? Not purple yet buy just dark blue on the bottom then turn to clear color. I am using the same kit

I would say it is still correct. When I was cycling, there was a time early in the process when my tests did that. Then as the level got higher the drops started turning immediately purple.

oh ok i thought as much. just seems strange thats all. wait and see i guess

I've never heard of one turning clear quickly but I have heard of it happening over a few minutes. That is also a sign of very high nitrite.

I've never heard of one turning clear quickly but I have heard of it happening over a few minutes. That is also a sign of very high nitrite.

Yeah it is not that quick but it disappears over a time. I was think as the other test like ammonia it always stays there but the nitrite I can see the dark blue on the button but when I take it to look in a broad light place it is always less than the first initial but still no purple color yet

Most reactions

Back