Strange “lump” on Danio

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I followed some online instructions and it seems the danio is now at rest.

:( I must be a complete softie as I hated even doing that with clove oil.

RIP
I'm really sorry :( I've had to euthanise a fish with clove oil before, and while I do believe that it's the most peaceful and humane method we have for euthanising fish, it's still never fun to have to do it. It still feels like you're giving up on them. But the pics of those fish, look at the size of the lump compared to the size of the rest of his body - that would have been painful and it was only getting worse. He really didn't stand a chance of recovery, and you doing that meant he didn't have to continue to suffer.

We think of it as the right thing to do to take a dog or cat to the vet when it's time in order to prevent suffering. Have had to do that too, and it's not fun, but as an owner you know that it's the right thing to do to prevent suffering where we can. It's harder to know when with fish, since you don't have a vet to consult with, but you at least could consult with people here, and didn't want your fish to suffer. Being a softie isn't a bad thing! Anyone who didn't care, wouldn't have business keeping live animals.

RIP little danio :rip:

Thank you that’s made me feel a lot better :) You’re right it is definitely better to put any animal at rest if there’s no chance of recovery and if it’s suffering.

I’ve done a water change at the same time in my tank so am hoping now that none of my other fish get sick. So far they all look normal.

I’m hoping I don’t have to do that again for a long while.

Most reactions

Back