Stocking

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 64 litre (60x32x37 cm) Hard water tank with: 1 male guppy, 3 peppered Corys and 6 cherry barbs

does this stocking sound okay. Could I get more of the fish I already have. I don’t want any different species, i just don’t know if I have room to add more of what I’ve got. Thank you

HI. I cant comment on the number of fish, but cories are also schooling species and should be kept in at least a group of 6. So if you are looking to increase something, needs to be them.

Hi,

I have a 64 litre (60x32x37 cm) Hard water tank with: 1 male guppy, 3 peppered Corys and 6 cherry barbs

does this stocking sound okay. Could I get more of the fish I already have. I don’t want any different species, i just don’t know if I have room to add more of what I’ve got. Thank you
Thats a bit tight imo... cherry barbs need 30 gallons or more and 64L is 16 gallons. So, you would have to either get a bigger tank or get rid of the cherry barbs sadly. You also should be aware that guppies need to be in a group and that they like hard water while all the other fish like soft water. The cories should also be in groups of 5-6 at minimum. What are your tank parems?

Seriously fish suggest a 2 foot tank for cherries which is what you have. Bigger is always better for any fish of course. If your water is hard - best plan might be to gradually fill the tank with as many (male) guppies as will fit in a range of varieties. I've seen some people suggest guppies don't care either way about a shoal or not, as long as they have 18inch swimming space or more. No idea which is correct. The exact gH of your water might allow people to suggest whether the species you suggest are compatible.

Seriously fish suggest a 2 foot tank for cherries which is what you have. Bigger is always better for any fish of course. If your water is hard - best plan might be to gradually fill the tank with as many (male) guppies as will fit in a range of varieties. I've seen some people suggest guppies don't care either way about a shoal or not, as long as they have 18inch swimming space or more. No idea which is correct. The exact gH of your water might allow people to suggest whether the species you suggest are compatible.
If guppies (a small fish) are kept with other fish they should have a few buddies to not be so scared and alone

What is hard water?? To me your stocking is at softer water but without a ppm reading it’s hard to say what’s soft and hard water

What is hard water?? To me your stocking is at softer water but without a ppm reading it’s hard to say what’s soft and hard water
Hard water is the water with tattoos on it.
Soft water cries a lot.

If you don't believe me, then Google 'Hard Water' and/or look it up in Wikipedia. ;)

Corys need to be in shoals of 5 at minimum. So get 2 more corys. You gave room for double the amount of fish u have on that list. Definitely get more corys, some neon tetras would be a nice touch.

Thats a bit tight imo... cherry barbs need 30 gallons or more and 64L is 16 gallons. So, you would have to either get a bigger tank or get rid of the cherry barbs sadly. You also should be aware that guppies need to be in a group and that they like hard water while all the other fish like soft water. The cories should also be in groups of 5-6 at minimum. What are your tank parems?
Why do Cherry Barbs need 30g considering they only grow to 1.5 inches

C'mon guys...we know that size isn't the only determining factor. Small fish might need gallons of space to swim around madly in! ;)

That said, Cherry Barbs need to be in groups of at least 6.
I have 8 in my 100 litre/21 imp.gallon tank which is safely within any space requirements.
They appear to be thriving, with both male and female in good colour. There is evidence of courtship behaviour and some slight sparring/showing off, between males.
They are active in all areas of the tank, at all levels.

Why do Cherry Barbs need 30g considering they only grow to 1.5 inches
Dont they grow to like 2 inches though? Ive heard they need 20-30 gallons at minimum... But I guess I could be wrong lol

Most reactions

Back