Stocking

livelifelow

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

A few weeks after moving I lost a decent sized fish from my tank, which in truth didn't necessarily belong there, and now I'm missing having more fish swimming around in my tank.

34 Gallon long (36" x 18" x 12")
Current stocking:
1 Clown Pleco
1 BN Pleco
1 Albino BN Pleco
4 Cories
3 Glofish Tetras
1 Rabbit Snail

What I'm hoping to add:

Neon tetras
Possibly a Dwarf Gourami
Possibly a few male guppies and/or endlers
Possibly a beta, but probably not (Obviously not if I'm getting guppies)
Hopefully I won't buy another pleco or a catfish, but I recognize that I have a problem.
Maybe some shrimp
Maybe some snails

I'm also going to give plants another try....but will probably buy silk ones since my plants tend not to survive, though I believe that is due to the fish that passed.

About how many fish do I have room for?

YOur issue is the plecostomus species. They have a disproportionately large bioload - they create more mess for their size than they should. This means that you can't stock as highly as other people, without plecs, would be able.

I would strongly suggest that you increase your cories to at least 6. Further, much as it pains me, I would also suggest you get some more Glofish(r) tetras - it doesn't matter what colour you get , so long as it's the tetra, rather than the barb or the danio. I don't really want to get into another debate on the rights and wrongs of these manufactured fish, I think most people know my views on them by now, and those that don't can probably guess from what I've just written.

They are black skirt tetra, genetically modified to have artificial colours (taken from a jellyfish species), but the behavioural traits of the natural species aren't affected. They are quite nippy little things, so increasing the shoal size to at least 6, and probably 8, would be a good idea, this usually keeps the nippiness within the shoal, rather than them having a go at the other species.

To be honest, if you do those two things, I think you'll be at your capacity, given that you have 3 plecs.

I agree with lockman.  I will only mention that adding any gourami or Betta with the glo tetras would not work regardless of the space, as these sedate fish become targets of nippy-inclined fish.  And I too do not condone genetically-modified fish.

Byron.

the_lock_man said:
YOur issue is the plecostomus species. They have a disproportionately large bioload - they create more mess for their size than they should. This means that you can't stock as highly as other people, without plecs, would be able.

I would strongly suggest that you increase your cories to at least 6. Further, much as it pains me, I would also suggest you get some more Glofish(r) tetras - it doesn't matter what colour you get , so long as it's the tetra, rather than the barb or the danio. I don't really want to get into another debate on the rights and wrongs of these manufactured fish, I think most people know my views on them by now, and those that don't can probably guess from what I've just written.

They are black skirt tetra, genetically modified to have artificial colours (taken from a jellyfish species), but the behavioural traits of the natural species aren't affected. They are quite nippy little things, so increasing the shoal size to at least 6, and probably 8, would be a good idea, this usually keeps the nippiness within the shoal, rather than them having a go at the other species.

To be honest, if you do those two things, I think you'll be at your capacity, given that you have 3 plecs.

Getting either the black skirts or the white skirts would do the same as getting more of the 'Glofish' (R) variety.  ;)  The fish can't tell the difference.

And there's the added benefit of not giving more money to the GM trade.

eaglesaquarium said:

Getting either the black skirts or the white skirts would do the same as getting more of the 'Glofish' (R) variety.  
wink.png
 The fish can't tell the difference.

It would be the same, yes, however the aesthetic wouldn't be the same - having 3 gaudily coloured fish and 3 naturally coloured. LIke I say, I feel dirty for having to say it, I think more of the manufactured variety is the better option.

*shudders*

I'm using some AqAdvisor website to list the types of fish I want, its gives quite details info on the combinations.

boshk said:
I'm using some Advert for another forum removed website to list the types of fish I want, its gives quite details info on the combinations.

Boshk, the website that you are advocating has been found to have serious flaws in its rules. Whilst it does give quite a lot of detailed information, that information isn't necessarily accurate.

I would strongly suggest that you check the validity of anything that site recommends with the human beings on here.

Thank you for the recommendations.  I'll grab a couple more cories and either black or white skirt tetras.  The Glofish are actually from my dad buying my mom random fish before her guppie population took off - since she was then overstocked I took the 3 Glofish that she had to help her make room, but they're so expensive that I hadn't increased the shoal size and wasn't sure what the original tetra was.

the_lock_man said:

I'm using some Advert for another forum removed website to list the types of fish I want, its gives quite details info on the combinations.

Boshk, the website that you are advocating has been found to have serious flaws in its rules. Whilst it does give quite a lot of detailed information, that information isn't necessarily accurate.

I would strongly suggest that you check the validity of anything that site recommends with the human beings on here.

okay, thanks. I just read my post, its doesn't make sense at all! I think it was the autocorrection.

boshk said:

okay, thanks. I just read my post, its doesn't make sense at all! I think it was the autocorrection.

The forum is set up to automatically change certain words and phrases to others. If you were to try to type certain swear words, it would automatically change them to something more appropriate. We use the same filter module in the software to change the website name (and several others) to "Advert for another forum removed".

We would not want to appear to be endorsing that particular site by leaving its name available for all to see.

Incidentally, if you were to try to bypass the swear filter, we would give you warning points ;)

In my experience, I have found that plecs and guppies do not mix well.  I have also had some Glofish(modified Skirt Tetras) that attacked my guppies.  I would caution against these combos.  Also please do account for the 1 gallon to 1 inch of fully grown fish rule.  You should have less than 34 inches of full grown fish in the 34 gallon tank. The plecs also have a higher bioload than most fish; therefore, they require a little bit more space under the 1 to 1 rule.

Most reactions

Back