Stocking

NinjaSmurf

Devils Advocate
Reaction score
I've read a few things on here about goldfish sizes and stocking, and I'm sorta confused. The pinned article on goldfish in tanks says 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 for each fish after, yet the size of the fish I want to get seems to be huge and would not fit in a tank holding the recommended amount of water per fish.

I have a thirty gallon tank. All I want is a black moor (or black telescope, not sure on the difference) and an oranda. If it wouldn't tax the tank I'd get a weather loach too, but I really just want the goldfish. Is this going to be big enough?

Thanks in advance.

All 3 would probably be fine so long as you have good filtration, and keep on top of water changes. They will probably max out at around 8" in a 3ft tank, presuming thats the size. I think 8" is comfortable in this size tank and it is not too small for it to be classed as 'stunted growth'.

The key thing will be the water changes and filter but it should be fine if you ask me.

itll be fine, if your fish get like mine did they are going to grow huge, and though they do fine in the 3ft 30g youll eventually get tired of seeing your fish not being able to swim for a good distance, itll be WAY better to get a bit biger tank most 40g are same length but have more width so they can swim a bit more that way.

btw theres a BIG difference in a 29g and a 30g, if its a 29g i personally dont think thell do well but its a 30g itll be ok.

Thing is, it's a tall tank, not long. So I guess I'm just out of luck till I can get something bigger.

2ft high, 2ft long and a 1ft deep. It's a big square.

Really? Yay!!! Now I just have to wait, because now I have to look for an apartment, and I already have a twenty gallon, not sure if I'll be able to set up the thirty until after I get a place... Still, it's definetely good to know! Thanks!

Most reactions

Back