Stocking Suggestions

Cur

Reaction score
I'm setting up a 15gal tank that will be kept at room temp around 65-72 degrees. I'm planning to have a powerhead pushing a relatively high flow around the tank circularly. I was wondering what stocking suggestions you all have for this, particularly with schooling fish. I've very successfully kept zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows, and panda garra together in a pervious version of this set-up and was looking for something different.

TLDR: What fish would do well in a cool water, high flow, 15gal tank?

Ooof.. Not much that I can think of.. Most schooling fishes I know need longer spaces than 15G.
And not sure about recommending any nano fish, given the high flow..

This is a real problem. There are small fishes suited to a 15g tank, but very few of them will manage in strong flow from the filter. And the limited space in a 15g does not allow for sufficient areas of quiet water so the fish can get out of the current. The best filter for a tank this size with nano fish is a single or dual sponge filter.

Fish that would be suited to the tank size, temperature and flow are Hillstream Loaches. You cold have quite a lovely riverscape for these fishes, though I wold replace the filter with a smaller one, like the Aqueon Quiet Flow that is basically a sponge filter that has more current than normal sponge filters. It really all depends upon the fish species requirements.

I'm setting up a 15gal tank that will be kept at room temp around 65-72 degrees. I'm planning to have a powerhead pushing a relatively high flow around the tank circularly. I was wondering what stocking suggestions you all have for this, particularly with schooling fish. I've very successfully kept zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows, and panda garra together in a pervious version of this set-up and was looking for something different.

TLDR: What fish would do well in a cool water, high flow, 15gal tank?
Hello. In order to keep even a few small fish in such a small tank, you'd need to change half the tank water two or three times a week to keep all the dissolved waste from making the fish sick. The smallest tank I've kept is 30 gallons and I had to change most of the water in it every few days. I don't think you could keep more than six to eight Neon or Ember Tetras.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

White cloud mountain minnows like cool water temps...65-77 degrees. You could do those. They have cool colors too

I disagree with a variety of posts here, 15 gallons is a perfectly fine size, but your temperature, flow choices, and tank size will definitely limit what you can reasonably keep.

I think you should look for a small bottom dwelling species that likes higher flow and low temps. The bottom dwellers should have an easier time getting out of the flow. Some options might be:
  • Corydoras panda
  • Akysis species catfish
  • Stiphodon species gobies (check temp requirements)
Honestly, I would reduce the flow some and get some nano fish that come from marginal areas in fast flowing environments (e.g. Microdevario kubotai or Brachydanio tinwini). As mentioned, small fish have a hard time with high flow in small tanks. Most of the nano fish that come from swiftly flowing environments live in the margins of those rivers, not in the main flow. They are comfortable in high flow, but need areas of slower flow to retreat to.

If you were willing to heat the tank you could keep Centromochlus perugiae (Oil Catfish). These very small catfish come from quite swiftly flowing (but also quite warm) habitats, and they are supposed to be real characters.

Centromochlus perugiae. This brings back memories. I had a trio of these in my Amazon Riverscape many years back. Very peaceful with fish that can't be swallowed, though it may fin nip. As it is totally nocturnal, it searches the tank during complete darkness and will swallow small fish such as fry. It does well singly or in a small group. A truly unique resident in the aquarium but one that is rarely seen; the fish has a habit of remaining hidden in tunnels in driftwood. Upon being introduced to the aquarium, the fish will seek out secluded tunnels in wood or crevices in rockwork, always closest to the strongest flow from the filter, and there it will remain during daylight hours, only venturing out during total darkness. During daylight, however, the appearance of frozen bloodworms or live worms will entice the fish out, and it will literally charge around the tank, gobbling them up like a vacuum until it is too full to swim. The worms must be carefully restricted to prevent this extreme. A photo of two of them, enticed out with the "dinner gong". They chose that wood because it was closest to the filter stream.

Attachments

• woodcats.JPG
    woodcats.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 24
Hello. In order to keep even a few small fish in such a small tank, you'd need to change half the tank water two or three times a week to keep all the dissolved waste from making the fish sick. The smallest tank I've kept is 30 gallons and I had to change most of the water in it every few days. I don't think you could keep more than six to eight Neon or Ember Tetras.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I had this tank set-up before I moved and managed to keep 8 zebra danios, 6 White Clouds, and 2 Panda Garra for a year with no water changes, only top ups.
Aquaclear 30, an intake sponge, extra bio media, and a giant pathos growing out of the filter made it possible. Dwarf Sag as well, but their impact was likely minimal.
All very healthy fish that I was able to feed generously and still keep at 0,0,0 Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

I disagree with a variety of posts here, 15 gallons is a perfectly fine size, but your temperature, flow choices, and tank size will definitely limit what you can reasonably keep.

I think you should look for a small bottom dwelling species that likes higher flow and low temps. The bottom dwellers should have an easier time getting out of the flow. Some options might be:
  • Corydoras panda
  • Akysis species catfish
  • Stiphodon species gobies (check temp requirements)
Honestly, I would reduce the flow some and get some nano fish that come from marginal areas in fast flowing environments (e.g. Microdevario kubotai or Brachydanio tinwini). As mentioned, small fish have a hard time with high flow in small tanks. Most of the nano fish that come from swiftly flowing environments live in the margins of those rivers, not in the main flow. They are comfortable in high flow, but need areas of slower flow to retreat to.

If you were willing to heat the tank you could keep Centromochlus perugiae (Oil Catfish). These very small catfish come from quite swiftly flowing (but also quite warm) habitats, and they are supposed to be real characters.
Those Oil Catfish definitely look interesting, I'll have to research them to see If I can provide what they need. Byron's reply to you was a great introduction. Thank You
My current plan was to go with a different species of danio such as pearl or glowlight and 1-2 stiphodons. Unsure if the size would be suitable for more than 1 seen people advise both ways.

Most reactions

Back