Stocking Questions For A Newbie

Junior Gent

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Im new to fish keeping, ive started my fish-less cycle with the very helpfull advise i have recieved on this forum, currently 5ppm of ammonia is clearing within 12 hours, just waiting for the nitrites to follow. I have a 30litre tank
Ive decided to stock
1 x Male Betta
4 x Male endlers
5 x cherry shrimps

What order do you suggest i put them in? My plan is the endlers and shrimps supplimenting the shrimps with discs. Then a short while after add the betta. Could he be added at the same time though? Also whats the best method to transfer him in to the water as they look very delicate fins?

Im currently visiting a selection of LFS to try and find the Betta for me, but as yet i havent seen the right one. I live in Huddersfield Yorkshire England and wondered if anyone knows a good spot to get them. I would love a halfmoon, but i ideally want to see it in real life before purchase.

Sorry for all the questions

JG

That stocking list looks OK to me. Perhaps pushing it a little with the endlers, but I know there are people on here who keep endlers with bettas in 5 gallons, so you should be fine in 8.

Your plan sounds like a good one. Adding the shrimp or endlers fist, should mean that when you add the betta, he sees himself going into 'another territory', thereby theoretically reducing the risk of agression.. My betta was fine when I added tankmates fo his tank, though there is a risk he could see his new tankmates as invading his territory. You could add them all at once, though it wouldn't be so kind on the filter with a sudden bio-load like that to deal with. Adding them gradually sould allow the bacteria to grow steadily, meaning less chance of ammonia/nitrite (etc) spikes.

Unfortunately, I am unable to guide you with regards to the fish store or transferring the fish. There are various sites which sell fantastic fish, though that wouldn't allow you lo view the fish in real life first. I know bettaboys seems to have a good reputation though, so they might be worth a look.

Glad you have chosen to glad to hear you're doing a fish-less cycle. So many people don't and their fish end up sufferring because of it. The tank could take several weeks to cycle though. If you can, try to get some established filter media from a tank that has been up and running for a while. This will introduce extra 'good bacteria' and speed up the cycle. Some LFS may donate some, though if they have any issues with the health of their fish that might not be the best ideam. I'm not sure if there's a thread on here about it actually. Have a look around for it and if not, you could post in the 'wanted' section for some. I am sure someone on here would be willing to donate.

Thanks for your swift response Pablo, So pushing it with the endlers mean i should probably have a go with three not four? Will they be happy enough with 3, i were trying to strike the balance between enough company and not pusing the bio-load of the tank.

JG

I'm not sure but I think the reason for the "pushing it" was directed because even though SMe people have the with their Bettas the Betta may still attack the guppies
Guppies and Bettas are known for a slight disliking as some endlers have large fins as well

Also didn't see the size of the tank :p 4should be ok but I would add any more to that tank but like said pushing it for two reasons :p could get some Pygmy corydoras or micro rasboras with out pushing it instead of the endlers? I have 6 pygmys and a Betta in mine they all get on great and bio load is fine :)

The Betta may also start chasing the red cherry shrimp, thinking they are a nice snack! (Mine did, lol, but I managed to rescue them in time)

Thanks for your input guys.

Ive been down to my LFS today and got 3 endlers put to the side for them to keep until my cycle is complete. They havent got the guppy style tails like some of the hybrids. I think they are the common black endlers with the thin orange streaks top and bottom of the fins. I know shrimps can be seen as food to Betta's, but ive got alot of cover for my shrimps so im hoping that isnt going to be the problem. Ive also got my eye on some dwarf african aquatic frogs. Has anyone got experience of them living with Betta's? I know advice from your LFS has to be taken with a pinch of salt in many cases, mine advised me there would be no problems them living together.

Liquid both myself and my wife would love Cory's but unfoortunately without completely changing the filter in my tank i cant have them as that dictates the substrate which is not suitable for them.

JG

without completely changing the filter in my tank i cant have them as that dictates the substrate which is not suitable for them.

Sorry I didn't reply to your previous post sooner. Those 3 endlers should be fine. Was reading through and noticed the above, you don't have a BiOrb by any chance, do you? I had a betta in the smaller version and his fins were shredded by the ceramic media. I would get some smooth pebbles to cover the ceramic media if I were you to prevent this. I once read an article about someone who had 'converted' several BiOrbs which told you step-by-step how to do it. By 'converted', I mean remove the internal filter w/ bubble tube, replace it and use a different media. I had a look for the site so I could post the link, but I was unable to find it.

Yeah pablo ive got a biorb life, ill post a pic below. Ive already anticipated that when planning so ive covered the media in black marbles. Ive put cover down below for the shrimps and 2 types of plants in for the my Betta to rest on. Im also considering exchanging one of the pebbles at the front for a moss ball for the shrimps.

JG

biorb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion of converting, but im hoping if i keep my stocking levels low and my scaping ideas aimed to benefit the fish im hoping they will live a long happy existance in the tank as it is. There are quite a few people who have converted them to marine tanks. That is something that intrests me in the future. I plan a much larger fresh water tank and then maybe use my biorb as a marine.

JG

And very much appretiated like all the advice on this site. Im definately indebted to the site, im certainly miles ahead of where i would have been if it wasn't for you guys.

Thanks again

JG

The tank looks quite nice IMO.

Just some pointers. Is that plant on the left plastic? Silk or live pkants are always better for bettas as plastic plants can harm their delicate fins. The plant on the right looks like anubias, is it attatched to something, eg a rock or some wood? They need to have their rizhome in the water rather than buried.

I like the use of those white pebbles, make a really nice contrast. I have 2 marimo balls in my tank, I remember my shrimp really took to them when I first added them. Very hardy little things and I think they'd look rather nice in there - they'd go with those black balls and round pebbles :good:

The plant on the left is silk, it does look plastic in the photo. Yeah the anubias is on some drift wood sat on top of the marbles. Im pretty happy with the tank, its never going to be easy to scape a biorb due to size and the bubble tube and the horrible media. Is there a reason why so many tanks have the heater at an angle? is mine a problem being vertical? Even the readings on it are set for 45 degrees reading.

Glad to hear that about the plants :good:
Not too sure with regards to the heater. I've had my heater both vertically (in a biorb) and at an angle (current setup) and it seems to have worked fine in both positions.

Most reactions

Back