Stocking My Tank!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm the new guy

Reaction score
I have 46 gallon bow-front. I need to finish stocking it. Here is my current stock.
3 Angelfish, soon to be 4-5
3 Denison Barb, soon to be 5
3 Cory cat, soon to be 6
I stocked only 3 angelfish because the store didn't have any more than 3 that I liked.
I stocked only 3 Denison barbs because I wanted to see how they did before buying 5.
I moved my Cory cats from a ten gallon where I only had room for 3.
That explains my current stocking.
I want to add to my current stocking something different; it needs to be a bottom dweller. Possibly a Feather-fin catfish, bristle-nose pleco, or a Dojo loach.
Other options are appreciated. I do 20% water changes 3-4 times a week. I have a power filter rated for 60 gallons, a power filter rated for 10 gallons, and a homemade filter that works fairly well. The tank is also heavily planted.

how tall is that tank?. also if it is at least 20" preferably more then 24" then you could do 4 angels, 5 barbs, 6 corys

What about the following: 4 angelfish, 6 Corys, 5 Barbs, and a African Feather-fin catfish?

While the tank is ok height wise for the Angels I think you will run into problems with them... Angels do best as singles, in a naturally formed pair or large groups of around 6 but then they all have to be added at the same time for the best chance of success :)

I'm guessing your tank is a 3ft in length? And possibly a jewel vision 180 (210 litres without substrate/180 litres or so with substrate)... If so then definitely not big enough for Denison barbs... Your right in knowing they need a bigger group than 3.. a group of 6-8 is ideal but truth is your tank is not big enough for the 3 :( they need tanks of a least 5 foot in length as they are very active and get to around 6-7 inches. It's a shame really as they are such a nice fish... If you look on my YouTube page (dbanner2804) you will see that I once had a group of 4 Denison barbs in the exact same tank as yours but I had to rehome them within a month as I realised the tank was just far too small for them :(

Also angel fish and Denison barbs require different water temperatures. The angels do well at around 80F and the barbs require cooler temps around 70F

The corys should be fine...

If it was me I would have -
1 x angel
3 x dwarf cichlids 1 male 2 female (rams or apistagrammas)
8-10 x corys (all same type)
15-20 x cardinal tetras (or equal sized shoaling fish)
1 x bristlenose plec (or other Pleco of equal size)

Most reactions

Back