Stocking My Tall 150 Litre Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Dibble

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking for a new stock for my 150 Litre. I am going to buy an RO unit and attempt to stock soft water fish, as most fish I like are soft water fish. I am keen on stocking my fish in layers as the tank is tall rather than wide, and get the most out of the height. For example: Pencilfish for the top of the tank, Tetras for the middle and Apistogrammas for the bottom. I am looking for active fish with some decent behaviour, not too aggressive not too dull.

I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas in what you would do in this tank. Not specific numbers of fish but just types would be helpful as it would open my mind too many more fish, rather than the ones I am currently set on.

My tank measurements are roughly around these: 22" Tall 22" Wide and 13" Depth.

My plan was too get 3 Apistogrammas for the bottom (As I have kept these before and liked them) Colourful, may spawn and show some interesting behaviour. 

Around 25 Cardinal Tetras for the middle. They are obviously very beautiful fish, school fairly well, and look lovely in a planted tank.

Around 8-10 Black Phantom Tetras as these look really nice to me, and I think they would look great with the Cardinals in the middle, as they don't school as tight and (I think) would give a nice effect. 

And then around 8-12 Pencilfish as they are prolific top dwellers and are known to be fairly active and school well.

Let me know what you guys would do as I am not set on Pencil's or Apistos.

Here is my tank now: 
maBzFXR.jpg

I think what you've got in mind now is good. I would make a suggestion to do flame tetras rather than cardinals.

TallTree01 said:
I think what you've got in mind now is good. I would make a suggestion to do flame tetras rather than cardinals.

Yeah, I do like the thought of what I want, but I just feel like there is more out there, that I could look at. I don't want to pay all this money out to then find out about something I could have got :)

Why Flames over Cardinals TT? I think Cardinals are much better looking in my opinion.

Colonel Dibble said:

Yeah, I do like the thought of what I want, but I just feel like there is more out there, that I could look at. I don't want to pay all this money out to then find out about something I could have got :)

Why Flames over Cardinals TT? I think Cardinals are much better looking in my opinion.
I've kept cardinals and now I'm keeping flames. The flames are much more active and once they color up full they're quite stunning. I keep my flames along side with neons and it makes quite a nice contrast, If you wanted you could get 1 school of each! :good:

TallTree01 said:

Yeah, I do like the thought of what I want, but I just feel like there is more out there, that I could look at. I don't want to pay all this money out to then find out about something I could have got
smile.png

I've kept cardinals and now I'm keeping flames. The flames are much more active and once they color up full they're quite stunning. I keep my flames along side with neons and it makes quite a nice contrast, If you wanted you could get 1 school of each!
good.gif

Thanks for the advice TT, I will keep this in mind.

Change of heart, I am going to get 3 apisto males 24 cardinals and 10 hatchetfish

Colonel Dibble said:
Change of heart, I am going to get 3 apisto males 24 cardinals and 10 hatchetfish
How many fish do you think can live in a squat shaped 150l tank?
no.gif

Your stocking plans are completely off the scale IMO, you need to be looking at ~75cm of adult sized fish, that are sedate enough to live happily in a ~56x33cm footprint.
Cardinals need a longer tank than that. 
A trio hareem of cichlids need more than that.

I have a ~120x30x37cm amongst my tanks that holds ~140l, having a greater surface area, it can responsibly stock more fish than your 150l. Just like my 620T's ~62x39x55cm ~130l, the squat design of the tank makes responsible long term stocking very difficult (mine became a quarantine tank and grow-on tank).

N0body Of The Goat said:

How many fish do you think can live in a squat shaped 150l tank?
no.gif

Your stocking plans are completely off the scale IMO, you need to be looking at ~75cm of adult sized fish, that are sedate enough to live happily in a ~56x33cm footprint.
Cardinals need a longer tank than that. 
A trio hareem of cichlids need more than that.

I have a ~120x30x37cm amongst my tanks that holds ~140l, having a greater surface area, it can responsibly stock more fish than your 150l. Just like my 620T's ~62x39x55cm ~130l, the squat design of the tank makes responsible long term stocking very difficult (mine became a quarantine tank and grow-on tank).

This forum... I am going to try and not be mega rude... but, I asked what you guys would put in this tank. I didn't ask if I would be able to fit certain things in...
I have actually done my research. Many sources have told me I need base requirements of 60cm - 30cm and I have more than that. Hatchetfish are really small and will have plenty of space in my tank. With a densely planted set-up and a decent choice of Apistogramma, they will more than likely be okay with each other.

I have talked to a guy who has been breeding and keeping Apistos for over 20 years and he said with the right picks of Apisto they will be fine in my tank.

And as for having too many fish, well that is stupid. I have 2 Pearl Gouramis, 24 Threadfin Rainbowfish, 6 Black Neon Tetras and 3 Apistos. My nitrate readings were fine, and they were all happily swimming around enjoying their lives in my tank.

I am way over filtered for my tank, I maintain weekly water changes and I am quite heavily planted... so next time, read my thread and answer my question. Thanks.

You made a statement on an internet forum what your plans were, and didn't explicitly say don't comment. In my mind, it is implicit that you are inviting comments on your plans, and that's what you received.

I often find Goat's stocking plans a little on the conservative side, but I agree with him here.

Obviously, you haven't specified which hatchetfish and which apisto you are talking about stocking, so I've taken silver hatchets and agassizii apistos as average examples. With the quantities you state, you have around 140cm SL of adult fish. You told me in Chat that you knew you couldn't stock it as you would a "standard" 150l tank.

I would suggest that this tank should be treated as the equivalent of about a 120l "standard" tank, in terms of stocking. 140cm of fish in a 120l tank is overstocked by the standards of most of the experienced fishkeepers who are regular contributors to this forum. I would personally be looking at about 100cm SL of fish in this tank.

WHen I'm researching fish, my first port of call is Seriously Fish.

It recommends a base size of 60x30cm for Cardinals, roughly the same for silver hatchetfish. For Agassiziis, they recommend that base size for a pair, but larger for a larger group. I thinmk if you were to lose one of the apistos, and 10 of the cardinals, I think you'd be about there.

If you don't like the advice you are being given, that's fine, you don't have to take it. But please remember it is not being given to upset you, it is being given in good faith, with the best interests of your fish at heart.

I do think that 24 Cardinals in a 55cm wide tank isnt a great idea to be honest, they are quite active fish that do require swimming space.

sebn said:
I do think that 24 Cardinals in a 55cm wide tank isnt a great idea to be honest, they are quite active fish that do require swimming space.
I don't know where he got that from but it is around 61cm. How is a 2ft tank possibly not big enough for cardinals? lol.

the_lock_man said:
You made a statement on an internet forum what your plans were, and didn't explicitly say don't comment. In my mind, it is implicit that you are inviting comments on your plans, and that's what you received.

I often find Goat's stocking plans a little on the conservative side, but I agree with him here.

Obviously, you haven't specified which hatchetfish and which apisto you are talking about stocking, so I've taken silver hatchets and agassizii apistos as average examples. With the quantities you state, you have around 140cm SL of adult fish. You told me in Chat that you knew you couldn't stock it as you would a "standard" 150l tank.

I would suggest that this tank should be treated as the equivalent of about a 120l "standard" tank, in terms of stocking. 140cm of fish in a 120l tank is overstocked by the standards of most of the experienced fishkeepers who are regular contributors to this forum. I would personally be looking at about 100cm SL of fish in this tank.

WHen I'm researching fish, my first port of call is Seriously Fish.

It recommends a base size of 60x30cm for Cardinals, roughly the same for silver hatchetfish. For Agassiziis, they recommend that base size for a pair, but larger for a larger group. I thinmk if you were to lose one of the apistos, and 10 of the cardinals, I think you'd be about there.

If you don't like the advice you are being given, that's fine, you don't have to take it. But please remember it is not being given to upset you, it is being given in good faith, with the best interests of your fish at heart.

Yeah, I asked people to give me what they would stock in this tank. As in, what fish they would keep, so I could get some ideas. I know for a fact I am overstocked, but I don't care. I am way over filtered and my readings are good, you don't know what I have planned, therefore don't just guess things. I am planning to get 24 and grow them on a bit, then take out 8 or so. I want to get the best looking ones, so by getting more and then picking from them, that is going to be my best option.

I am planning to stock Marbled Hatchets which get to around 3.5cm Full size.

Also the Apistos I was looking at are around 6.5cm - 5cm Full size.

I know it's a public forum, however, it is so frustrating, time after time; Putting up threads asking a question, getting 10 or so replies, trying to give me advice and not answering the question I asked.

So in future, answer my question if you are going to post please.

Thanks though.

22" is 55.88cm

Also, of course you are able to fit cardinals in a 2ft tank. Doesnt mean you should though. In the wild they have as much space as they need. They like to swim in open water and i personally dont think 2ft is wide enough to give them the space they desire. They wouldnt have even finished accelerating by the time they have to turn around and start over again.

Colonel Dibble said:

Yeah, I asked people to give me what they would stock in this tank. As in, what fish they would keep, so I could get some ideas. I know for a fact I am overstocked, but I don't care. I am way over filtered and my readings are good, you don't know what I have planned, therefore don't just guess things. I am planning to get 24 and grow them on a bit, then take out 8 or so. I want to get the best looking ones, so by getting more and then picking from them, that is going to be my best option.

I am planning to stock Marbled Hatchets which get to around 3.5cm Full size.

Also the Apistos I was looking at are around 6.5cm - 5cm Full size.

I know it's a public forum, however, it is so frustrating, time after time; Putting up threads asking a question, getting 10 or so replies, trying to give me advice and not answering the question I asked.

So in future, answer my question if you are going to post please.

Thanks though.

The point that I am trying to make is that you said this:-

Colonel Dibble said:

And you were given advice on this.

Colonel Dibble said:

By posting it publically, you are inviting comment upon it. Even if you had posted something along the lines of "Don't tell me this is bad, I know, and I don't care," you would still have received comments. D'ya see?

You're complaining about people not commenting upon what you'd said, when as far as I can see, people were.

sebn said:
22" is 55.88cm

Also, of course you are able to fit cardinals in a 2ft tank. Doesnt mean you should though. In the wild they have as much space as they need. They like to swim in open water and i personally dont think 2ft is wide enough to give them the space they desire. They wouldnt have even finished accelerating by the time they have to turn around and start over again.

So no one should keep fish in a fish tank.

of course for any fish bigger is always better with a tank size..

but you CANNOT give a fish its natural habitat in a tank, maybe close with a biotype but 100% natural seems impossible unless you own a river/lake or an ocean..in an ideal world 10 neon tetras would have a 50gal 

but what do i know? ive only been fish keeping a year and a half... and own the easy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back