stocking ideas

TropicalJane

Reaction score
Hi all i currently have a cycled 28L tropical tank with some sand and live plants hoping to make it more heavily planted in the future. I wondered what nano community tank recommendations you had? Please let me know as i have considered a few options such as endlers but would like a combination of species if possible!

28 litres is too small to have lots of different species. Many of the fish small enough to fit need a group of at least 10 (small fish seem to need more of them). Male only endlers, as you suggest, is one option. They do come in different colours and patterns so that would create some variety.
A shoal of one of the dwarf rainbowfish would be OK, there are a few of them but without knowing just how hard your water is I can't suggest which species. Look at the several species here and see which has your hardness in its range

If you don't know exactly how hard your water is, look on your water company website and if they give several units of measurement you need mg/l calcium carbonate, which is the same as ppm in those profiles.

That's not terribly hard, there are more fish suitable for that hardness than say 300 ppm (mg/l) Most of those Pseudomugils, for example.

28 litres is a bit small for a dwarf gourami, I'm afraid. And the ones bred in far east fish farms are likely to already be infected with an incurable disease. I have a 23 litre tank (a 30 cm cube) and I've had rectangular 25-ish litre tanks in the past so I know how small your tank is for finding fish that'll be suitable. My 23 litre is currently a shrimp tank.
Endlers and shrimps, yes. I've kept endlers with red cherry shrimps, though in a tank with a lot of decor starting with silk plants then live plants for baby shrimps to hide in. Cherry shrimps come in variety of colours though it's advised to keep all the same colour as different colours will interbreed and you'd likely have all brown shrimps after a few generations.

Since your hardness is not terribly high another option is a betta (also known as Siamese fighting fish). Just the one fish with no tank mates. These are territorial fish which either are so aggressive they attack tank mates or so laid back they are bullied by tank mates. Some will tolerate shrimps, others see them as food. When I kept bettas I had a nerite snail in with them, that's all.

Most reactions

Back