Fish Herder
Reaction score
I currently have:
1 male betta
5 white cloud mountain minnows
2 dwarf corys
3/4 cherry shrimp
2 assassin snails
and a mix of baby guppy's (betta been leaving them alone and ill move them when they get bigger)

Im thinking about getting:
Dalmatian molly
Neon tetra
Black phantom tetra
Possibly lampeye, green neon tetra
And ive seen small rainbow fish in my LFS

Do they sound like a good mix? provided they dont nip fins of course :)
If anyone has any other ideas on different fish, small ones i dont want big fish cos they would dwarf my room lol :D

Well atm 64L but a friend is getting rid of theirs in about 4 months and i think its a couple of hundred litres

Don't add anything until you have the bigger tnak - you don't have room and the betta probably will not accept newcomers. When you have the bigger tank then leave the betta as he is and plan seperate stock.

Of your list:

Dalmatian molly:Tend to prefer hard water, get just males unless you want LOTS of mollies.
Neon tetra: Like a tank at least 6 months matured
Black phantom tetra: Nice, bit hardier than neons
Possibly lampeye, green neon tetra: If you can find them then as above
And ive seen small rainbow fish in my LFS: depending on type - preacox (also called neon) would make a lovely school and stay small.

Don't add anything until you have the bigger tnak - you don't have room and the betta probably will not accept newcomers. When you have the bigger tank then leave the betta as he is and plan seperate stock.

Of your list:

Dalmatian molly:Tend to prefer hard water, get just males unless you want LOTS of mollies.
And ive seen small rainbow fish in my LFS: depending on type - preacox (also called neon) would make a lovely school and stay small.

Aha thank you, wasnt thinking of now just want to settle on some fish.
Exactly the ifno i wanted :D

Of your list:

Aha thank you, wasnt thinking of now just want to settle on some fish.
Exactly the ifno i wanted :D

Dalmatian molly--Mollies prefer a slightly brackish tank
Neon tetra--Love these! The more you get the better they'll look. Also check out black neon tetras. They're one of my favorite and also look incredible in a large school.

p.s. i love your greyhound! Is he Floyd?

DONT get tetras with bettas - some tetras - including neons wil fin nip a betta really badly

the only thing i would do with your tank is add 4 more corys - same type (not sure what type you have as never heard of dwarf corys - do you mean a pygmy breed)
corys need groups of 4+ to be happy

what temp are you keeping the tank at - the white clouds prefer temps under 22 degrees - any higher and will greatly reduce their lifespan

Dalmatian molly--Mollies prefer a slightly brackish tank
Neon tetra--Love these! The more you get the better they'll look. Also check out black neon tetras. They're one of my favorite and also look incredible in a large school.

p.s. i love your greyhound! Is he Floyd?

Hi, brackish being?
Ive always loved neons lol they soo pretty
ive seen a scarlet badis thatlooks gorgeous lol might look into getting someof them for my smaller tank :D
And yes thats floyd lol he has his 4th birthday in a week or two :D just thinking about a pressi to get him last yr was a new collar hmmmm :shifty:

ahhhhh....lol...a collar! :)

Edit: if your going to get neons, make sure your tank is mature, they dont do very well in a cycling tank. :(

~betta_246

Brackish means small amounts of salt added to the water, many fish dont like this whereas mollies do so they are not an ideal community fish.

I believe that if you can find a fish store that breed and raise mollies in 100% freshwater tanks then you should be ok.

Andy

My lfs raise mollys in freshwater but in the coldwater section.
Yeah my tank is mature, plus guppys keep having babies so live food lol
To pippoodle - yes i think the dwarf corys are a pygmy breed, and water temp now about 22-24 degrees cos my betta seems to do alot better at 24ish, and i only said neons cos my lfs have a betta in with the neons.

On another note my betta seems to be hiding alot recently any particular reason? water stats are fine

To pippoodle - yes i think the dwarf corys are a pygmy breed, and water temp now about 22-24 degrees cos my betta seems to do alot better at 24ish, and i only said neons cos my lfs have a betta in with the neons.

On another note my betta seems to be hiding alot recently any particular reason? water stats are fine
bettas do prefer to be a lonely fish, if theres too much going on in the tank they will hide away. they are not ideal community tank fish im affraid.........

bettas do prefer to be a lonely fish, if theres too much going on in the tank they will hide away. they are not ideal community tank fish im affraid.........
2nd Betta like to be by themselves. Funny thing is if you have just a betta in a tank, he/she will interact with YOU! My bettas swim right up and watch me through the tank. The male one also eats from my fingers!

Most reactions

Back