Stocking Ideas For A 58.6 Us Gallon Tank?

Ditto on the convict. I would love one or two in my tank, but have been warned in no uncertain terms, by the two lfs that I was going to buy from, not to get them. And this was before I even had most of my current stocking. They may not be one of the bigger cichlids, but they make up for it in aggression!

Instead, I got a couple of Cupid cichlids, which max out at 4 inches, and are beautiful. There's not much info around on them, but mine have shown no aggression so far, though they are very new to me.

I was thinking about this, and one cichlid that might work... a keyhole cichlid. Much larger than the rest of the fish, but this is a fairly timid cichlid, and being with such smaller fish might mean that he'd be more visible. BUT, make sure to have a spot in the tank that it could hide if it felt threatened. I'd suggest staying away from two as you might get a pair, and all cichlids can get more aggressive when spawning.

There would still be risk, but it would be more appropriate than a convict.

On second thought, the keyhole is still so much bigger than the CPDs, I doubt its a safe combination.

And you are entirely against rehoming the cpds? If you did, you could have so many options, whatever you would like almost. A large shoal of interesting but larger tetra, or maybe two types of shoalers, an angel or gourami as a centrepiece (perhaps both if they get along), some rainbows, perhaps a group of hatchets for the top and some cories for the bottom would be a smashing combo.

Yup, totally against it. Moms already spiralling up a fuss about removing the betta fish.

Plans have changed, And I could rehome the CPD's if I really wanted to.

What sort of other choices does this open up?

So, what's in the tank now?

Nothing now, I will be keeping the Betta & CPD's in the other tank. The 222 litre is empty. A new selection of choice if you say :p, what would you suggest? I'd like some large fish :) However I've been interested in BN Plecos and Khuli Loaches :p

I don't know to be honest, I don't know of any! Some large fish would be nice. Maybe you could suggest some?

you could do loads of things. angelfish, firemouth cichlids, german blue rams, kribensis, keyhole cichlid, apistogramma etc.
what type of tank are you going for biotope, tropical,coldwater,agressive, semi-agressive, community?

I seriously don't know... I'd like some unusual fish, preferably quite large The tank will definitely be planted (medium lighting, CO2 etc.) however I won't want a biotope. Definitely tropical, but unsure of what sort of community of fish.

I have to say I've been interested in the cichlids you've suggested!!

you could do
1 angelfish
1 pair of GBR
1 BN pleco
8 rummynose tetras

or
same as above but replace the GBRs with 1 keyhole cichid

or
same as above but replace GBRs with 1 pair of kribensis

or
same as abut but replace GBRs with 3 apistogramma (1m:2females)

or you could do something with firemouths and a blue acara, ive had no experience with them though, so i cant be sure

or
you could replace the rummynose tetras with something like congo tetas, emporer tetras, hatchet fish, or something else the angel, keyhole, etc. couldnt eat, but you would need to lower the numbers to probaly 5 or 6 since they are bigger fish

I wouldnt mind:

1x BN Pleco
1x Angel Fish
1x Keyhold Cihlid
1x Blue Acara
5x Khuli Loach

Obviously I'd need to get rid of a few of the larger fish, but I'd like to make space for some shoaling fish if possible? Thoughts?

I'd dump the Acara and the angel, and replace - with a Pearl Gourami and 6-9 of any of the following:

Heteromorpha rasbora
Five-banded barbs
Phantom Tetra
Bloodfin tetra
Rummynose tetra
Cardinal tetra

i would get rid of the blue acara and put in 6 of any of those tetras but not the barbs or rasbora

Most reactions

Back