Stocking ideas, 125l Juwel Lido.

I've never heard the term glowlight refer to hengelis. The common names I've come across are:
copper harlequin for both espes and hengels
slender harlequin for espes
lambchop rasbora for espes
porkchop rasbora for hengels
and of course the names Hengel's rasboras and Espe's rasboras.
Some shops make up their own common name which is why it's always safest to go by the Latin name.

Going in tomorrow to pick up the rasbora, they have Harlequins,Glowlight, Copper,Purple and Scissortail.
Are the purples a variant of the harlequin ?
Ive seen them before and they do look nice.

There are several selectively-bred strains of the natural species Trigonostigma heteromorpha (the Harlequin Rasbora) including the black, blue and golden. As they are all the same natural species, they can be combined and care is the same for all.

EDIT. I read this thread from the "Alerts" listing, and didn't have the benefit of the intervening posts from @Essjay when I posted. I concur on the other species too.

Yes confirmed the glowlight were Hengeli, had some nice Bolivians there too, starting to.colour up nicely. Hopefully have some in a few weeks time.

Yes confirmed the glowlight were Hengeli, had some nice Bolivians there too, starting to.colour up nicely. Hopefully have some in a few weeks time.

If you decide on this rasbora (Trigonostigma hengeli), it is really a jewel, but it needs a group of at least 8-9 minimum. It will remain primarily mid-level in the tank, and it is one of the species that shoal together pretty much all the time, the group rarely separates, which makes it an interesting fish in especially larger groups.

I did, picked up a group of 9.
Does it matter which sex the ram I get is ?
I've read the Bolivians are difficult to sex. Some of the rams in the tank seemed to have more colour than other, so would this be a factor ?

I did, picked up a group of 9.
Does it matter which sex the ram I get is ?
I've read the Bolivians are difficult to sex. Some of the rams in the tank seemed to have more colour than other, so would this be a factor ?

Rams in store tanks are generally going to be under stress, and thus "washed out" in colour. I was lucky when I acquired my male about 12 or 13 years ago that I found them in one of our better fish stores, and they had been in the tank for a few weeks, and had plants, etc, so were much easier to identify. Mals are probably the better choice with a solitary Bolivian, as they will rapidly claim the entire tank space as "theirs," and even with just one ram this can be entertaining especially when the Ram decides to "lay down the law" with other fish that for whatever reason temporarily annoy him.

Sexual dimorphism is rather limited with males larger in size and showing longer extensions on both the caudal and the posterior of the dorsal fins; these characteristics are more reliable in mature fish. Examination of the ovipositor can sometimes also indicate sex with the female displaying a larger, rounder appearance to pass eggs through, while the male displays a more pointed appearance; this may only be evident when the fish is ready to spawn. The photo below shows a pair (upper fish male, lower female) over a clutch of eggs.

I like to stand quietly (basically like a statute, no movement) in front of the tank and observe the behaviours. Males will be obvious as they challenge one another (assuming there is more than one in the tank obviously), and any females close by a male may be indicative of a "pair" but maybe not; this fish has to select its mate and this can be a guide.

Attachments

• Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg
    Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 32
The Lido tanks are tall narrow tanks with small footprints. The 120 litre (32 gallon) Lido has a footprint of just 41 x 61 cm (16 x 24 inches). Bolivian rams need a bigger footprint - at least 45 x 90 cm. With bottom dwelling fish, footprint is more important than volume.
Upper fish also need to be chosen carefully. It has the same footprint as many 60 litre tanks, and fish should be chosen as though it is a 60 litre tank, though obviously more can be stocked because of the larger volume.

Hengel's rasboras are suited to this tank length so they are OK. But not Bolivian rams.

The Lido tanks are tall narrow tanks with small footprints. The 120 litre (32 gallon) Lido has a footprint of just 41 x 61 cm (16 x 24 inches). Bolivian rams need a bigger footprint - at least 45 x 90 cm. With bottom dwelling fish, footprint is more important than volume.
Upper fish also need to be chosen carefully. It has the same footprint as many 60 litre tanks, and fish should be chosen as though it is a 60 litre tank, though obviously more can be stocked because of the larger volume.

Hengel's rasboras are suited to this tank length so they are OK. But not Bolivian rams.

I didn't take the tank size into consideration for my post #21 because it was not the question asked, and I agree with Essjay.

Damn, need to rethink ?. Any suggestions ?
Keep in mind that tank lenght is very important as even microfishes can be very active swimmers. I kept Boraras naevus and they were shoaling/swimming all day long like if they were sprinting !
Their swimming area is also important.

So should be ok with a group of sterbai (5/6) and I'm now thinking an acara may be ok , red breasted or flag.

Most reactions

Back