Stocking Idea Needed....

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After much deliberation, I just got rid of all 11 tiger barbs. I did not like their semi-aggressive behavior, and the fact that they ate everything. I don't think my cories got their share, and even among the larger buenos aries tetras, they would be take food. I just was not happy with their temperment. I just feel I had trouble making sure everyone gets fed, and the tiger barbs were eating most of the food.

And so I have now 6 cories and 6 buenos aries tetras, which are right now about 2.5" long.
can someone give me ideas on some peaceful fish that I can add to my current setup? I want fish that are not so aggressive, and ones that would not take food away from my cories.

what about the hatchet fish?

Thanks.

I have a 55 gallon size tank, and I also have one bushy nose catfish.

are you looking for shoaling fish? If so i'd try harlequins or cardinals?

Try a pair of pearl gouramis or another type of small gourami?

I think shoaling fish are always nice. I was thinking of harelquin rasboras, actually.

The tetras I have are relatively a good size right now, but not fully grown, and I was concerned about adding fish that might be too small and end up eaten. Most of course sold at fish stores are juvenilles, afterall. The tetras I have seem a bit more skittish then the tiger barbs, which were not even frightened when I approached the tank. And, I have already noticed that the catfish are able to get to the sinking tablet and eat without getting shoved away by the tiger barbs. the tetras do not seem nearly as pushy.

Anyways, the rams look nice, but I understand they are very sensitive to water conditions. My pH is about 7.6, its very alkaline tap water.

I haven't read up on the pearl gouramies, but they sure look pretty. Can you tell me more about their temperament? diet? Do they prefer to be in pairs?

Cardinals are nice, but I hear stories that they are hard to keep alive, and often die after several months?

I prefer I think upper level swimmers, like harlequin. But, Id probably get about 8 of those?

oh wait a minute! When you mentioned pearl gouramies, for some reason I was thinking of kissing gouramies.
I once got a pearl gourami along with a gold one. For two days, both were hiding in the exact same spot behind the filter. They seemed extremely shy, uncomfortable. So I had returned them.

Gouramis are nice and should do well with the fish you have. I keep pearls and dwarfs. The best is to keep them in trios if you want to have fish of both sexes (1 male, 2 females). They are territorial fish towards their own family members but get along well with other fish. I have been keeping my dwarfs (considerably more agressive than pearls) with serpaes, neon and red eye tetras, as well as cories, and kribs without any problems.

Gouramis can well live on their own as well, count on around 8 gallons/fish for the smaller ones (honeys and dwarfs) and 10 gallons/fish for the larger species. In many countries dwarfs have been inbred and are prone to diseases, so maybe you should be careful and go for honeys or banded gouramis instead. But there are many other nice ones around like sparkling and croaking gouramis too.

Food: I feed them a variety of flakes and pellets, and occasionally vegetables and brine shrimp. They are top to mid dwellers.

Hatchet fish are great. There's a few different kinds available now, I have marbled hatchetfish. They stay at the top most of the time, and I mean all the way at the top. They eat everything I give them (flake, bloodworm, brineshrimp) but they aren't aggressive about it at all. They're great with other peaceful fish.

In my opinion you should avoid gouramies because buenos ares tetras are one of the 'nippier' tetras. The long trailing... feeler things... on gouramies might be too much to resist.

You should also look into rainbowfish like the praecox rainbowfish (aka neon rainbowfish). I have those as well and they are very interesting in their swimming behaviors.

I also have pearl gourami and mine were shy for the first few days of putting them into the tank.

they're much better now, they still hide, but not half as much

I hear hatchet fish are suseptible to disease. They look interesting, and I like that they swim at the top. Do they not eat all the food during feeding time when you have top swimmers? I like harlequin rasboras. The ones at the store are rather small, and Im concerned they may become lunch for the larger tetras?

Gouramies seem just too skittish and shy.

I have been keeping dwarfs and pearls for some time now, and do not agree with anything being said here about them.

They are not shy; mine are out and about and the kings of the tank. I have been keeping them with serpae tetras, known to be nippers, and no problems at all. They are beautiful and easy to take care of.

You don't need to be afraid either that the rasboras will be eaten by the tetras, unless they are still fry size and you have congo tetras or similar size.

If you want a nice top level fish: take a trio of killies. Try A. australe or F. gardneri types, they are suitable for community tanks and not too difficult to take care of.

In my experience, once the hatchets were used to there tank (about a week) they did great. I lost some when I first introduced them and a few days after, but they had a pretty rough ride so that may be why. They haven't shown any signs of diseases.

Most reactions

Back