Stocking? For A Begginner

fishkeeper35

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
would this be overstocked for a planted 38 gallon aquarium with black sand substrate and a aquaclear 70 filter? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????
this is ##150### had to say

36 x 12 x 19 inch (35.5gUS)

9 x Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis)
6 x Julii Cory (Corydoras julii)
5 x Flower Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)
9 x Glowlight Tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
9 x Fire Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
1 x Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leerii)
Recommendations/Warnings/Suggestions/Notes:

Recommended temperature range: 77 - 80.6 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 132%.
Recommended water change schedule: 28% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 95%.

is that true? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

also if its overstocked i will reduce the numbers of the teras to 6 and the cories to 4?

PLEASE respond as any idea is a good one to me!!!!! :flex: :flex: :flex: :kana: :kana: :kana: :kana: :kana: :nerd: :drool: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :eek: ;) :p

i know ##150### isnt that reliable but i use it as a general guidline
also this is my 2nd tank and i am currently running a 15 gallon with 7 zebra danios,7 cherry barbs and 1 mystery snail

also.. i would like at least 2 types of mid or top lv. schoolers(lemon tetra flame tetra glowlight tetra) with some cories(juli cories) for the bottom and a couple shrimp(flower shrimp) and 1 center piece(pearl gourami)

if this cannot go then i would like suggestions based around the pearl gourami because i hear the beautiful and timid :D

i will be doing 2 15% waterchanges each week :D

I wouldn't reccomended having less than 6 corydoras as they are social fish and benefit from being in a group of 6+. As for stocking level I'm afraid i can't really help. Personally I would add them bit by bit and see how your water parameters do.

You are definitely near capacity. Here's the thing: you CAN be overstocked and do just fine...as long as you keep the water quality perfect or near perfect. If you forget to do a weekly water change then you are taking chances. I safely kept 32 fish in a 29 gallon tank for 3 years without any problems (doing approx.40% per week).Then I got lazy on the maintenance and things went bad very quickly! If you want to downsize a bit, just take out 3 of each tetra (leaving 6 in each group). I agree with the above comment about keeping all the julii, they really prefer the bigger school.

I'm not sure about your last comment. Are you wondering if you should add more fish to your 15 gallon in addition to the fish that are already in there? If you add a pearl gourami, keep in mind that it's like having 3 fish due to the size they get. Your tank isn't the ideal size for a pearl IMO plus it would be better if it wasn't kept alone. I personally would not put a pearl in that size tank with all those fish. Especially if you plan on keeping all those danios; (they are frantic swimming fish and could freak out a very timid pearl!)

Good luck with your tank:)

Most reactions

Back