Stocking For A 40 Uk Gallon Tank

14gtr14

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been told elsewhere that this stocking is fine for my tank, but just before i build it up fully i would like to know for certan (as i trust this forum lol!)

At the moment i have: 10 tiger barbs (6 norm 4 green); 4 japonica/algae shrimp; and 1 rtb shark

i am looking to add: 1-2 small plecs (eg clown plec or bristlenose plec)
5 ottos
6 dwarf rainbowfish
3 dwarf gouramis (1m 2f)
15 small tetras (eg a school of cardinals)

oh the tank's 40 uk gallons, planted, and is at about 24 degrees C

is this stocking ok and have i room for more or should i go for less?? or if you have a completely different idea for stocking let me know!

thanks in advance :good:

I don't know much about rainbow fish, but i do know that gourami's and tiger barbs don't mix as tiger barbs tend to nip the gourami's long feelers, so unfortunately those are out of the question. The rest of the stocking looks fine though :thumbs: .

I don't know much about rainbow fish, but i do know that gourami's and tiger barbs don't mix as tiger barbs tend to nip the gourami's long feelers, so unfortunately those are out of the question. The rest of the stocking looks fine though :thumbs: .

i read that too, but i also read that tiger barbs are less nippy in groups of 10+ and thereafter should be ok with anything apart from guppies and bettas???

maybe im wrong but that's what ive read

i read that too, but i also read that tiger barbs are less nippy in groups of 10+ and thereafter should be ok with anything apart from guppies and bettas???

maybe im wrong but that's what ive read

True, they are less agressive when stocked in large enough groups but the posiblity of them turning on slower and more defenceless fish is not out of the question for them even so- the other problem with keeping them with gourami's is that they are very fast active fish and may out-compete a slow fish like a gourami for food.
It is posible to keep tiger barbs with dwarf gouramis if you have
a. A very long and large tank which is heavily planted from top to bottom, only leaving a clear area in the middle for the barbs to shoal in.
b. Have a large shoal of tiger barbs but minimum number of gouramis.
c. Feed them a variety of foods which sink at different speeds.

Even so it is more a matter of keeping your fingers crossed and hoping nothing happens between them than knowing for sure nothing will happen between them.
Its not really a risk i'd want to take, i've seen numerous cases of tiger barbs turning on fish in aquariums on here or other places, even after ages of been kept successfully together with other fish (usually the agression starts when the tiger barbs numbers become displaced or another fish in the tank becomes stressed in the tank from something like labour or illness, and the barbs try to finish the fish off).

i was thinking about the feeding point, the barbs are pretty mad then!

i really like gouramis, but i like my barbs too :sad: :/

Most reactions

Back