Stocking for 125l (33us Gallons) tank!

tinyelf75

Reaction score
Hi there, i have a 125l (33us Gallon) and was wondering if these fish would be suitable together and have the tank as a community tank.
5 black neon tetras
5 neon tetra
5 corydoras
4 zebra snail
5 ember
1 bristlenose pleco
1 anglefish
Thanks,
Alfie

Can you post water parameters for your source (tap) water? The GH especially, but might as well know the KH if you have it, and the pH. You may be able to find this info on the water authority's website, if you do not already know.

While waiting for that...a lone angelfish is not advisable. This fish is a shoaling species, but a group (minimum five) needs a much larger space to grow into. While some people will keep a solitary angelfish, I do not consider it fair to the fish. And, it can become aggressive out of frustration.

The other species are OK together, but I would increase their numbers, since you have the space for these. Not all of these together then, you can consider which but having more of them really is beneficial to the fish. The other thing I notice is that every species (Ember Tetra the lone exception) is a mid to lower level species, so the top half of the tank is going to be pretty bare. Once we have the parameters, there will hopefully be surface-level fish to consider.

All the fish live well together. I do agree with Byron about tge Angels but it is your tank and Angels are beautiful to watch.. Some other options for a center piece could be a Dwarf Gourami or Electric Blue Acara.

I would also consider only doing 2 schools of tetras in that size tank, remove tge third and increase your groups of the others by 2. I think you will like the movement and look of this. Too many varieties and it looks chaotic.

Can you post water parameters for your source (tap) water? The GH especially, but might as well know the KH if you have it, and the pH. You may be able to find this info on the water authority's website, if you do not already know.

While waiting for that...a lone angelfish is not advisable. This fish is a shoaling species, but a group (minimum five) needs a much larger space to grow into. While some people will keep a solitary angelfish, I do not consider it fair to the fish. And, it can become aggressive out of frustration.

The other species are OK together, but I would increase their numbers, since you have the space for these. Not all of these together then, you can consider which but having more of them really is beneficial to the fish. The other thing I notice is that every species (Ember Tetra the lone exception) is a mid to lower level species, so the top half of the tank is going to be pretty bare. Once we have the parameters, there will hopefully be surface-level fish to consider.
I don't know my water parameters at the moment but should soon. thanks for letting me know about the angle fish. also thanks @Jbram. I really like the electric blue acara.
I have taken all these in to account and could you let me know if these are okay:
8 neon tetras
8 black neon tetras
6 corydoras
4 zebra snails
1 bristlenose pleco
1 electric blue acara
thanks,
Alfie

I don't know my water parameters at the moment but should soon. thanks for letting me know about the angle fish. also thanks @Jbram. I really like the electric blue acara.
I have taken all these in to account and could you let me know if these are okay:
8 neon tetras
8 black neon tetras
6 corydoras
4 zebra snails
1 bristlenose pleco
1 electric blue acara
thanks,
Alfie
I d think about the size of the fish as you buy them , I’m pretty sure an electric blue acara will eat neon tetra , well put it this way my electric blue acara would eat neon tetra especially if bought from a pet store it’s hard to find full size fish at pet stores and often neon tetra are sold under 1 inch n that’s food for any cichlid larger than a keyhole , I personally would stock the selected cichlid last or possibly swap the neons for a larger tetra

I d think about the size of the fish as you buy them , I’m pretty sure an electric blue acara will eat neon tetra , well put it this way my electric blue acara would eat neon tetra especially if bought from a pet store it’s hard to find full size fish at pet stores and often neon tetra are sold under 1 inch n that’s food for any cichlid larger than a keyhole , I personally would stock the selected cichlid last or possibly swap the neons for a larger tetra
ah okay.... Dwarf gourami Instead??

You could easily keep neons with eba but I’d get a really small eba and mid sized neons as the eba grows it will more than likely not eat a tank mate it has grew around

Dwarf gouramis come with health issues. Those dwarfs bred in the far east usually have one, if not two, incurable diseases by the time they reach the shop.
Honey gouramis are a better option.

If you have hard water, none of the fish you have mentioned will be suitable, bit they all are if you have soft water.

Your location is given as Wales - is your water company Welsh Water/Dwr Cymru? If it is, it's one of three companies that don't give a number for hardness, but they do give hardness in word. These words make the water sound harder than we, as fish keepers, would call it. Tell us the words, and that will give us a band of hardness to work with.
Enter your postcode, then click/tap on water quality and it will give your hardness in words.

It would also be helpful to give the dimensions of your tank. UK tanks tend to be narrower and taller than American tanks of the same volume so less swimming room, which can affect the choice of fish.

A fish like the acara (Andinoacara pulcher) that grows to 5 or 6 inches (13-15 cm) is too large for a 33g tank assuming the length to be 3 feet (90 cm) or less (always give us the dimensions as well as volume, it makes it easier to suggest suitable fish).

Dwarf gouramis come with health issues. Those dwarfs bred in the far east usually have one, if not two, incurable diseases by the time they reach the shop.
Honey gouramis are a better option.

If you have hard water, none of the fish you have mentioned will be suitable, bit they all are if you have soft water.

Your location is given as Wales - is your water company Welsh Water/Dwr Cymru? If it is, it's one of three companies that don't give a number for hardness, but they do give hardness in word. These words make the water sound harder than we, as fish keepers, would call it. Tell us the words, and that will give us a band of hardness to work with.
Enter your postcode, then click/tap on water quality and it will give your hardness in words.

It would also be helpful to give the dimensions of your tank. UK tanks tend to be narrower and taller than American tanks of the same volume so less swimming room, which can affect the choice of fish.
81x36x45 cm

Assuming your parameters check out as others have suggested I would:
  1. Increase the ember tetras to 20
  2. Get neons or black neons and get 10-12 of the 1 type
  3. Leave out the bristenose and increase the corys to 8-10
  4. 2 zebra snails are enough
  5. No angel fish (it will definitely eat the embers)
All the fish you suggest are sociable fish and do much better in large groups, and make a better display. I know its tempting to go for variety but it really is better having larger groups. That combination will give you good interactions and there is no need for a centrepiece or display fish, but if you are determined you may wish to look at sparkling gourami, perhaps 4-6. If you do choose sparkling gourami you can't have shrimp as they will hunt and eat them.

Last edited:
For users of Imperial, that's 32 x 14 x 18 inches.

Have you found your hardness on the water company website yet?
I just looked and sadly i apear to have quite hard water:
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-03 at 19.20.55.jpeg

The one you want is German degrees, this is the same as dH. The other unit used in fishkeeping is ppm. Fish profiles give hardness in one or other of those.
Your hardness is 14 dH and 257 ppm.

Unfortunately, this is too hard for just about all the fish on your list :(
The electric blue acara is OK at your hardness but needs a bigger tank than 81 cm/30 inches long.

You have 2 choices.
Mix your tap water with a form of pure water such as RO water, and keep soft water fish; or use all tap water and keep hard fish.

Suitable fish include the smaller livebearers (endlers, guppies, and platies), smaller species of rainbowfish, and probably other fish that other members will think of.

The one you want is German degrees, this is the same as dH. The other unit used in fishkeeping is ppm. Fish profiles give hardness in one or other of those.
Your hardness is 14 dH and 257 ppm.

Unfortunately, this is too hard for just about all the fish on your list :(
The electric blue acara is OK at your hardness but needs a bigger tank than 81 cm/30 inches long.

You have 2 choices.
Mix your tap water with a form of pure water such as RO water, and keep soft water fish; or use all tap water and keep hard fish.

Suitable fish include the smaller livebearers (endlers, guppies, and platies), smaller species of rainbowfish, and probably other fish that other members will think of.
sorry for the late reply.... Is it expensive to change the hardness of the water or not?
thanks,
Alfie

Most reactions

Back