Stocking Fluval Edge?

ryan167

Reaction score
Hello, ive just ordered a fluval edge and just looking for some opinions on what would be suitable to stock! i used to have a 30 gallon tank but this new tank is only 6 us gallons! what im thinking of stocking so far is 2 dwarf gourami, and im wondering what else would be suitbale? thanks :)

Well, two dwarf gouramis won't be, for a start! Firstly, two dwarf gouramis would kill each other in that; secondly, it's not big enough for one; thirdly they need good surface access to breath (which the Edge does not have).

Best option for stocking it is 6 microrasbora (Boraras species, for example) or 6 dwarf tetras (ruby tetra or emerald tetra), and some shrimp.

Well, two dwarf gouramis won't be, for a start! Firstly, two dwarf gouramis would kill each other in that; secondly, it's not big enough for one; thirdly they need good surface access to breath (which the Edge does not have).

Best option for stocking it is 6 microrasbora (Boraras species, for example) or 6 dwarf tetras (ruby tetra or emerald tetra), and some shrimp.

Thanks kitty kat! i was reading on other forums and was told 2 dwarf gourami would have been fine, but ill take your word on the fact that they will kill each other as i know it is a very small tank! bought this tank just to get back into it, so im open to ideas! once again thanks for the advice!!! :)

Look at all of these:
* Axelrodia riesei
* Hyphessobrycon amandae
* Boraras merah
* Danio erythromicron
* Danio margaritatus

..and pick one species and go for 6-8 of them.

Then look at cherry shrimp, tiger shrimp, crystal shrimp, etc, and pick one, or even a few, which match your water parameters :)

Look at all of these:
* Axelrodia riesei
* Hyphessobrycon amandae
* Boraras merah
* Danio erythromicron
* Danio margaritatus

..and pick one species and go for 6-8 of them.

Then look at cherry shrimp, tiger shrimp, crystal shrimp, etc, and pick one, or even a few, which match your water parameters :)

quite like the phoenix rasbora and the pearl danio!!! but to be honest i wouldnt be a big fan on the shrimp! only problem is im not sure my petshop would stock these! (pets at home).

P@H most likely won't stock them, you should find a *ahem* better place to shop at.

You could try a Betta, but you would need to keep the water level about 1cm from the glass roof of the aquarium, and I personally think Bettas should only be kept in larger tanks.

P@H most likely won't stock them, you should find a *ahem* better place to shop at.

You could try a Betta, but you would need to keep the water level about 1cm from the glass roof of the aquarium, and I personally think Bettas should only be kept in larger tanks.

yes i know P@H arent great stockists, but the nearest good shop would be a 30-45 minute drive! would the fish be okay for that length of time?

Well mine are being dumped into the post right now for a morning delivery so i hope 45 minutes is plenty of time ;)

How do you think tropical fish get here? :D

Well mine are being dumped into the post right now for a morning delivery so i hope 45 minutes is plenty of time ;)

yes but im sure the man who delivers your fish has a nice expensive heating system in the back of his van! ive got a clio with a blow heater! :L plus i live in northern ireland so it is alot harder to find a company who will deliver here!

yes but im sure the man who delivers your fish has a nice expensive heating system in the back of his van! ive got a clio with a blow heater! :L plus i live in northern ireland so it is alot harder to find a company who will deliver here!
Actually, they don't. Usually only a heat pack is used and those often keep them at about 20C.

Fish spend days travelling to the LFS, a quick car drive isn't a problem. If you are worried about heat, put them into a coolbox/bag (without anything cold in it) as it's just an insulating box, so works in both directions (keeps warm things warm and cold things cold).

Actually, they don't. Usually only a heat pack is used and those often keep them at about 20C.

Fish spend days travelling to the LFS, a quick car drive isn't a problem. If you are worried about heat, put them into a coolbox/bag (without anything cold in it) as it's just an insulating box, so works in both directions (keeps warm things warm and cold things cold).

:eek: very interesting! im glad to hear that as i can go further afield now! thanks very much!!! :D

Fish spend days travelling to the LFS, a quick car drive isn't a problem. If you are worried about heat, put http://www.fishforums.net/public/style_emoticons/default/sleep.gifthem into a coolbox/bag (without anything cold in it) as it's just an insulating box, so works in both directions (keeps warm things warm and cold things cold).

:eek: very interesting! im glad to hear that as i can go further afield now! thanks very much!!! :D

What about 6 galaxy rasboras and 3 male endlers??? http://www.fishforums.net/public/style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif

I was going to suggest a group of endlers, small but very pretty and interesting to watch displaying to each other.

My local p@h has started to stock shrimp - they don't always have a clue what they are tho, some inventive names for plain old amanos!

I was going to suggest a group of endlers, small but very pretty and interesting to watch displaying to each other.

My local p@h has started to stock shrimp - they don't always have a clue what they are tho, some inventive names for plain old amanos!

how many endlers would you suggest, or would a mix of rasboras and endlers be more suitable? obviously i would have to go for all male endlers as i couldnt host fry!

how many endlers would you suggest, or would a mix of rasboras and endlers be more suitable? obviously i would have to go for all male endlers as i couldnt host fry!

Males are nicer to look at anyway! I would put 6 or 7 endlers in. I've only ever kept harlequin rasboras but I've always been a believer in keeping shoaling fish in larger groups, it looks nicer and as there's safety in numbers you see more natural behaviour. Endlers on the other hand, while appreciating each other's company, don't need to be in a shoaling group so would be just as happy in a group of 3 as they would be 6. Also I think rasboras, like danios, appreciate more swimming room.

Personal opinion, but I think 6 or 7 endlers with a nice dark substrate and some bushy plants (real or fake) would look lovely in the Edge. They are very colourful, come in different types, and have a bit more personality than rasboras.

Most reactions

Back