The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi..

I am in dilemma... :(

The situation is, my tank is overstocked..

Here is the list:
1) 1xVeil Tail Betta
2) 14xNeon Tetras
3) 3xSterbai Cory
4) 1xPanda Cory
5) 1xAdolfis Cory
6) 1xLeopard Cory

Tank dimensions:
60cm(L) x 30cm(W) x 35cm(H)
63 Litres/ 17 US Gallons

20131227_143710-1.jpg
Here is the Layout of my tank

The community is peaceful, the Neons in that numbers will only nip among their own group.
The Betta never disturb the rest of the fishes! True story!
No conflicts whatsoever.
I always do 25% to 30% water change weekly, rinsing the media with tank water.
And mthly, clean the filter and the decors of the tank.

Here comes the dilemma
1) What will be the effects of this overstock list?

2) I have kept this list for nearly Two mths now and there has never been any conflicts but will there be any in the future? and what will that be?

3) How do I re-stock the fishes?

4) If I can sucessfully keep the stock as it is, what extra measures should I put into place? eg. extra filter or less food? anything?

Need help or more likely, an assurance... tks everyone...

I have the same questions as you :/ Would like to hear what people say!

you should stick to one species of corycats, it's much better to have a lot of one instead of one of a lot.

I think your tank is okay, the corys will stay on the bottom mostly and the betta will be at the top mostly and the neons will be in mid mostly, enough swimming space for everyone. well maybe except the tetras.

ythao01 said:
you should stick to one species of corycats, it's much better to have a lot of one instead of one of a lot.
I think your tank is okay, the corys will stay on the bottom mostly and the betta will be at the top mostly and the neons will be in mid mostly, enough swimming space for everyone. well maybe except the tetras.
So you are assuring me its okay?? Lol

The cory.. yupz.. maybe i read the requirements wrongly.. coz if I remembered correctly, it says that they can blend well with other cory species as lomg as they are in numbers of 6+..

do you tink i should reduce the numbers of Neon tetras?

2 months isn't long enough to say everything is ok, it isn't unknown for Betta to suddenly decide he doesn't like his tank mates.
The corys really should be in species groups of 6+ , the ones you have will stay together but only because they have no choice, you'll see much more natural behaviour in proper groups, also they have different temperature needs.
Keeping fish at higher temps than they've evolved to be in shortens their lifespan, what temp is the tank at?

Lillefishy said:
2 months isn't long enough to say everything is ok, it isn't unknown for Betta to suddenly decide he doesn't like his tank mates.
The corys really should be in species groups of 6+ , the ones you have will stay together but only because they have no choice, you'll see much more natural behaviour in proper groups, also they have different temperature needs.
Keeping fish at higher temps than they've evolved to be in shortens their lifespan, what temp is the tank at?
I am open to the idea of keeping the Betta to another tank but it will be a small 2.5ish Gal tank only that I currently have..
"No more tanks!" said the Madam! Lol!

The temp is 26+ to max 27.5 Deg Celcius
And that is my room temp here.. cant go lower.. the tank is already situated awau from the sun and any hot areas of the house.

*Sigh* How am I gonna let go of the Cory.... :(
They are my babies....

Help me with my sadness.....

First of all rehome the Leopard, Adolfis and Panda cories.

If you want to keep the Sterbai Cories you'd have to rehome a few of your Neons to get 3 more of them.

508 said:

If you want to keep the Sterbai Cories you'd have to rehome a few of your Neons to get 3 more of them.
Same thoughts here.. tks..

how bout the betta? shoould i stil keep him since i stil want the neons to be in there..

and if the betta is gone, there wil b no centrepiece fish in my tank anymore.. :(

AquaPit said:

how bout the betta? shoould i stil keep him since i stil want the neons to be in there..

and if the betta is gone, there wil b no centrepiece fish in my tank anymore..
sad.png

It's up to you, small tanks don't really need a centerpiece fish imo

Even with 14 neons and 6 sterbai cories unfortunately you'd still be a bit overstocked

"It's up to you, small tanks don't really need a centerpiece fish imo

Even with 14 neons and 6 sterbai cories unfortunately you'd still be a bit overstocked[/quote]"

true enough..

when you say 'a bit overstocked', what do you mean? how many should I bring down the numbers of Neons?
And lets say I decide to replace all the cory with dwarf cory, together with the Neons, what do u sugest? what will the stock be like?

If you go for dwarf cories you'll be able to keep both your betta and neons :)

508 said:

and if the betta is gone, there wil b no centrepiece fish in my tank anymore..
sad.png

It's up to you, small tanks don't really need a centerpiece fish imo

Even with 14 neons and 6 sterbai cories unfortunately you'd still be a bit overstocked

Well, a bit, yes, but no-one's gonna send round the Fish Tank Police.

If it were me, I'd replace the Sterbai, etc., with an extra 5 pandas (since they're the smallest).

508 said:
If you go for dwarf cories you'll be able to keep both your betta and neons :)
*phew* Lol

so, the new stock list will be:
1) 14x Neon Tetras
2) 1x Betta
3) 6/8/10 Dwarf Cory?

tks for the replies! more so for the assurance! :)

the_lock_man said:
Well, a bit, yes, but no-one's gonna send round the Fish Tank Police

If it were me, I'd replace the Sterbai, etc., with an extra 5 pandas (since they're the smallest).
Lol! pls dont.involve the Authorities!

Panda cory... hmm....

AquaPit said:

If you go for dwarf cories you'll be able to keep both your betta and neons
smile.png
*phew* Lol

so, the new stock list will be:
1) 14x Neon Tetras
2) 1x Betta
3) 6/8/10 Dwarf Cory?

tks for the replies! more so for the assurance!
smile.png

10 dwarf cories would work, yes. If you'd rather have pandas then 6.

Are those life plants? Yes, corys should be in a single species group of at least six. You shoudl decide on one species and rehome all the others. Sterbai are getting definitely too large for your tank. Panda corys prefer lower temperatures. Dwarf corys live in mid water too, so its not what you want. Lets wait for a cory expert ;) Or maybe you could look into small loaches to replace the corys. You might be slightly overstocked but in my opinion nothing to worry about as all your fish are peacful. However, it is important that you have a decent filter and do your water changes on a regular basis.

Most reactions

Back