Stocking (and food) recommendations, 15-gal non-planted community

Re: the GH and KH, yes, they are in degrees.

I understand the varying opinions on a "centerpiece" fish, and the reasoning. My personal preference, at this point, is a single Honey Gourami. While I love Cories, I will opt for shrimp instead, as they are recommended in a smaller group than Cories.

Now thinking:
12 Cardinal Tetras
1 Honey Gourami
3 or 4 Red Fire (or Cherry) shrimp
some floating plants, but not duckweed

I'm blown away by all of your quick and helpful responses! I will keep you updated when I'm ready to purchase the inhabitants!

Yes, I've scrapped the idea of Cories. Would Neon or Glowlight Tetras be a better choice than Cardinal Tetras, or would they have the same issue with the short tank length?

Neons, glowlights and virtually all tetras will have the same issue, just lack of swimming room lengthwise.

What you want are fish that have territories like peacock gudgeons and gobies or dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma agassizii), or fish that don't swim long distances. Small pufferfish (pea puffers) might be ok.

Neons, glowlights and virtually all tetras will have the same issue, just lack of swimming room lengthwise.

What you want are fish that have territories like peacock gudgeons and gobies or dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma agassizii), or fish that don't swim long distances. Small pufferfish (pea puffers) might be ok.
I would have thought the tank would be big enough for a species of Tetra. And it is too small for apostgrama and most dwarf childlids.

This is basically a cube, so your fish options must be sedate fish as opposed to fish that need to swim. There are a number of options, and these I will suggest will be OK with your moderately soft water (GH is 7 dH).

Small gourami are ideally suited here. By small I mean pygmy sparkling (Trichopsis pumila), or eyespot (Parasphaerichthys ocellatus), croaking gourami (Trichopsis vittata). These are not exactly "colourful" but they suit the area and parameters. They must have good surface plant cover, side to side basically. The Honey Gourami could work, in a trio.

Characins (tetras, pencilfish) provide some suitable species. The pencilfish Nannostomus eques which swims at an angle is well suited. Nannostomus marginatus will work. These in groups of at least 10, maybe 11-12. They are not swimmers, but they cruise among the floating vegetation (surface plants again mandatory). Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae) for some nice reddish/orange, a group of 10-12. Or for brilliant red, the dwarf rasbora species in the genus Boraras.

Pygmy cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) or the so-called salt and pepper [be careful of common names, they are not consistent and you could end up with very different species] Corydoras habrosus. Or C. hastatus if you can find them. All three must have soft sand.

Not all of these together, they are just suggestions of species that will work here. As you can see, you need to stay away from the "bread and butter" tetras and cories, so it may take some looking to find these. You are in the USA so some online places are worth checking.

This is basically a cube, so your fish options must be sedate fish as opposed to fish that need to swim. There are a number of options, and these I will suggest will be OK with your moderately soft water (GH is 7 dH).

Small gourami are ideally suited here. By small I mean pygmy sparkling (Trichopsis pumila), or eyespot (Parasphaerichthys ocellatus), croaking gourami (Trichopsis vittata). These are not exactly "colourful" but they suit the area and parameters. They must have good surface plant cover, side to side basically. The Honey Gourami could work, in a trio.

Characins (tetras, pencilfish) provide some suitable species. The pencilfish Nannostomus eques which swims at an angle is well suited. Nannostomus marginatus will work. These in groups of at least 10, maybe 11-12. They are not swimmers, but they cruise among the floating vegetation (surface plants again mandatory). Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae) for some nice reddish/orange, a group of 10-12. Or for brilliant red, the dwarf rasbora species in the genus Boraras.

Pygmy cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) or the so-called salt and pepper [be careful of common names, they are not consistent and you could end up with very different species] Corydoras habrosus. Or C. hastatus if you can find them. All three must have soft sand.

Not all of these together, they are just suggestions of species that will work here. As you can see, you need to stay away from the "bread and butter" tetras and cories, so it may take some looking to find these. You are in the USA so some online places are worth checking.
Byron, thank you for this well thought out reply. I will be studying your suggestions, along with those from some others, and am now likely to be steering away from Neons, Cardinals, Glowlights, etc.

I am lucky to have a couple of aquarium shops (beyond the pet chains) here in Maryland, as well as the online sources.

Ed

Most reactions

Back