Stocking advice?

kanokoro

Reaction score
Hi!
I've been using aqadvisor to try to work out what I'm going to get for my 125 litre (80x35x50cm)

I'd planned on 8 neon tetra, 10 neon green rasbora, and 8 guppies. Aqadvisor said this would be about 72%. is that okay? am I definitely using the site correctly?

The first thing we need to know is the hardness of your tap water. Your water company's website should tell you that, you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several they could use) rather than words. The reason is that you list soft water fish (neons and green neons) and hard water fish (guppies). Depending on your hardness, one or other won't be happy.
If you can't find it, tell us the name of the water company.

If you have soft water, at least 10 neons and Microdevarios. With these small fish, the more the merrier. You could also add another 10+ small fish such as ember tetras. Or 10+ of one of the dwarf cories if you have sand on the bottom of the tank.

For hard water, yes guppies. But all male or you'll be overrun with fry. Even all females will produce fry as they can carry sperm and use it to have fry for months. Or male endlers, which tend to be hardier than guppies. There are several species of Pseudomugil suitable for hard water, again 10+ of those.

The first thing we need to know is the hardness of your tap water. Your water company's website should tell you that, you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several they could use) rather than words. The reason is that you list soft water fish (neons and green neons) and hard water fish (guppies). Depending on your hardness, one or other won't be happy.
If you can't find it, tell us the name of the water company.

If you have soft water, at least 10 neons and Microdevarios. With these small fish, the more the merrier. You could also add another 10+ small fish such as ember tetras. Or 10+ of one of the dwarf cories if you have sand on the bottom of the tank.

For hard water, yes guppies. But all male or you'll be overrun with fry. Even all females will produce fry as they can carry sperm and use it to have fry for months. Or male endlers, which tend to be hardier than guppies. There are several species of Pseudomugil suitable for hard water, again 10+ of those.
thank you for your reply! I've attached a screenshot of what my hardness is. Would I need to treat the water hardness at all for guppies or would they be safe as is?

Screenshot_20230916-141628.jpg

The two units used in fish keeping are ppm (mg/l calcium carbonate in the table) and dH (German degrees in the table). Fish profiles use one or other of those units.

Your hardness is 203.75 ppm and 11.5 dH.
This is middling, it's too hard for many soft water fish and too soft for fish which need very hard water.

I'm afraid it's too hard for neon tetras and neon green rasboras (Microdevario kubotai)
But it's fine for guppies and endlers; fish such as Pseudomugil signifer would also be good at this hardness.
or emerald dwarf rasboras
or celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy rasboras)

These small fish all need big sholas of at least 10.

Based off of the tank size you could look into a little bigger of tetras like red eye tetras or lemon tetras.

Most reactions

Back