Stocking advice for first-timer?

RandyGD

Reaction score
Hey everyone

So I'm hoping to begin setting up my first aquarium in the near future and have been researching all about different types of fish. Problem is...I'm notoriously indecisive 😅 so I thought I'd ask for some advice based on the fish I like the most.

For some background info:
-Again, this will be my first aquarium
-I'm thinking of starting with a 55g but am willing to go up to 75g
-I'm happy to include any caves or stones the fish may need but would prefer a primarily planted aquarium
-I'm ready and willing to do up to 25% water changes weekly

And the fish I've researched that I'm most interested in:
-Angelfish
-Pearl Gourami
-Honey Gourami (or other peaceful gouramis)
-Congo Tetras (open to other tetra varieties but Congo tetras are my favorite)
-Cory Catfish
-Peacock Gudgeon
-Nerite/Mystery Snails (for algae-eaters)

I also like Rams, Apistogramma, and Kribensis, but they seem like more intermediate-level fish. Open to other suggestions as well.

Truth be told, I would love to keep Angelfish and Pearl Gourami together, but based on what I've read that doesn't sound like a good idea, especially for a beginner like me.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated, thank you!

We would need to know your water chemistry (pH, hardness etc) before anyone can make recommendations. You should be able to find this either online via your water company or a test kit.

You'll also find that larger weekly water changes (at least 50%, preferably more) are essential, it will keep your water cleaner, more stable and make life easier long term, even though it doesn't feel like it when you're actually doing the water change!

If you can post your water parameters I'm sure people will be able to help with your suggestions. The only one I'll comment on now is the Angelfish, they grow pretty big and need lots of space, probably more than you're planning and probably wouldn't get on with any gourami.

We would need to know your water chemistry (pH, hardness etc) before anyone can make recommendations. You should be able to find this either online via your water company or a test kit.
Ah, right, admittedly I didn't think about that and just assumed I could adjust adjust those parameters with buffers. But that's good to know, so thank you!

According to what I found online, the water hardness in my area is around 32 - 47 ppm, and the pH is high, averaging at 9.2, which I know is way too high for all the fish I listed.

In that case, do you, or anyone else, know of ways to manage or alter these parameters?

Thanks again for your answer!

You also need to sort out what is in the water. It is certainly possible but not very likely that very soft water is very high in pH, so is there something they add? Or do you have a water softening filter in the house? Altering water parameters is obviously possible but takes extra work and expense.

The most difficult thing in aquarium keeping is deciding to alter water. It's not something you do once, but something you have to stay on top of for as long as you have the tank. It can become a demotivating chore, and has ruined many a hobby.

Those readings are wild, so I checked the SF Bay area, and you're right. I have never encountered low mineral, high alkaline waters like that. I would seek out one of the aquarium societies in the region, there are several, even if you do it online. I think you need to talk with a human who has experience with that water. The SF region has some renowned aquarists, so they have figured it out.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!

The SF Bay Area uses chloramine to disinfect the water, so I suspect that's where the high pH comes from. I will reach out to local aquarists for further guidance. Thank you!

Choosing fishes compatible with your current water chemistry, is always a good move.

Cycling your tank in your water chemistry is another factor., But as soon as you succeed, subsequent bacteria generations will be automatically geared to do it. no matter what.

Then, You can can bring any fish from a different water chemistry without hurting them too much in a couple hours. Honestly PH is not really a factor until you are really thinking of reproduction. Once adapted they will live a great life. (Serious note... The larger the fish the longer the transition). This could mean some serious dispositions.

But for the small ones. Just add a little of your water in the fish store's bag and look what happens. Nothing.. add a little more later... let it float directly in your tank if you can. Then once enough water of your tank is been added to the bag without apparent stress. Net the fish out of the bag, trash the water and drop it in his new home. the fish might look a little shaken for a while. But even the weaker ones will manages to survive.

On an another happier aspect of your project.

The kind of fishes you seems to like would do good in a tall tank.

They have a notorious reputation on being "Harder" to maintain. As for filtration intakes needs to be near the bottom, outtake near the top to create surface movement. Try to suck as much stuff at the bottom as possible. Hidden behind decor pits leading to the intake gives tremendous results.

If you want to have plants, You will need a slightly overkill light, that has some programmatic possibilities.

And if you really like plants you will need all three layers of aquatic plants to exploit your light to all it's extent.

Tall tanks makes awesome vertical space for them. And are a sign of true owners dedication.

Angels lovers have the tallest tanks. whatever the width.

Thank you for your answers!

The SF Bay Area uses chloramine to disinfect the water, so I suspect that's where the high pH comes from. I will reach out to local aquarists for further guidance. Thank you!

GH and pH have nothing to do with chlorine (or chloramine, do you have this added?). Look for the online site of the SF water authority and see if they give the numbers for general hardness, KH, and pH.

It's so much fun to start a new tank! I just started adding fish to a75 gallon. I will have angels in mine- did a lot of reading on different sites and a couple of breeders and found that the most general consensus is that you need at least a 30 gallon tank. That jives with my experience- over the years I've had angelfish a couple of different times and it was always in a 29 gallon tank. They always did well.

When I started, I was going to get a 55 gallon tank. The person at the LFS told me, "you might find the 75 gallon tank is much easier to aquascape because it's deeper front to back than the 55 gallon." She is right. Switching to 75 gallons added no more width, but enough depth front to back so that I could add a couple of big pieces of driftwood without it looking like I had to jam them in there.

I know some of the fish you're looking at, but not others. I spent a lot of time just keeping fish that you'd typically find at a big box store- nothing too out of the ordinary. I loved it. At the end of the day, if you're keeping fish for the love of observing them, then the most important thing is what they do in the tank- that's where the fun is.

Most reactions

Back