Stocking a new 10gal

BleuTheBetta

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have gotten quite addicted to this hobby- I don't know how you don't- and found a decent 10 gallon fish tank that I feel like I need, haha. I should really stop looking at posts on facebook and ebay xD
I messaged the seller and I'm picking it up Sunday.

So, to my question- stocking ideas?

My tap PH is around 7.9 or 8.0, so really hard water. But my GH- 25. It makes stocking ideas really hard for me. I know that I could change the PH, but I feel like that would be a real pain any time I do a water change. Or anything else, for that matter.
I know I will have to cycle this tank before anything. I know how to do that already. My betta Bleu will stay in my 5gal.
I really like guppies, but I don't know if they can live a good life in my water. And fry wise- I don't know where I would put them.
I would have to get another 5gal perhaps, or would like a clean unused tote bin work until they grow enough to go to my LFS? Any ideas?

Is the GH 25ppm [= mg/l] or 25 dH?

We're getting confused here. The pH is 7.9 or 8, no problem. The GH which measures general hardness you give as 25, but there are several units used to measure GH and we need to know which this is. Is the 25 in ppm (mg/liter), or is it in degrees which would be 25 dH.

We're getting confused here. The pH is 7.9 or 8, no problem. The GH which measures general hardness you give as 25, but there are several units used to measure GH and we need to know which this is. Is the 25 in ppm (mg/liter), or is it in degrees which would be 25 dH.
Gahhh, I can't read or think right now, apparently. PPM.

OK, so this is in fact very soft water. The pH is high but this may be due to other reasons. Water authorities in soft water areas often increase the pH to avoid corrosion in water pipes and such. I would suspect the pH in your smaller tank lowers after a water change? Adjusting pH can be tricky, and cause serious issues for fish. Test the pH in the running tank for a comparison.

With water this soft (the GH is more of a concern to fish than pH) you are right that guppies would not be at their best. But there are plenty of soft water small-sized fish that are commonly termed nano fish.

Do you intend any live plants?

Adjusting pH can be tricky, and cause serious issues for fish. Test the pH in the running tank for a comparison.
Tap PH- 8.0 (what makes the tank ph higher??)
Tank PH- 8.4 (is this bad?! I didn’t realize it was this high!)
I still use test strips though- I need to get a master kit soon.
Do you intend any live plants?
Yes, but I would need some guidance on them then. I’ve never kept them before.
But there are plenty of soft water small-sized fish that are commonly termed nano fish.
Any names? If I couldn’t keep guppies happy, I wouldn’t get them.

I would suggest getting to the bottom of the pH issue before considering fish. Run a glass of fresh tap water and let it sit 24hours. Test the pH of this water on its ownafter the 24hours. This will allow ustobetter guage what is going on.

I would also review the website of the water authority (assuming you are on municipal water, not your own private well) and see what they add. If they are adding something, it is public information.

As for the tank pH rising, this may be related to the municipal water. For instance, dissolved CO2in the city water will lower pH, but after 24 hours this dissipates out, which is why we do the 24 hour test. Orit could be something calcareous in the tank, such as limestone substrate, rock, coral, shells, etc.

I would suggest getting to the bottom of the pH issue before considering fish. Run a glass of fresh tap water and let it sit 24hours. Test the pH of this water on its ownafter the 24hours. This will allow ustobetter guage what is going on.

I would also review the website of the water authority (assuming you are on municipal water, not your own private well) and see what they add. If they are adding something, it is public information.

As for the tank pH rising, this may be related to the municipal water. For instance, dissolved CO2in the city water will lower pH, but after 24 hours this dissipates out, which is why we do the 24 hour test. Orit could be something calcareous in the tank, such as limestone substrate, rock, coral, shells, etc.
We use our own well water- what do I do?
I will do the 24h thing and report the PH here tomorrow night. Thank you!

We use our own well water- what do I do?
I will do the 24h thing and report the PH here tomorrow night. Thank you!

Run the 24-hour test, let's see what that does.

Have you ever had the well water professionally tested to ensure what is in it? Does the tap water run through any sort of filter, like a softener or something, before you use it?

Run the 24-hour test, let's see what that does.
PH is 7.9 or 8.0. In-between those colors.
Have you ever had the well water professionally tested to ensure what is in it?
We have not, no. My family just moved into this house a year ago- I guess we could ask the neighbors (old owners of this house) if they did.

@Byron
I have some great news.
I asked my dad, and he said that our water goes through a pretty hefty softener. Though- our garage water pump does not. That water has a GH of 300 ppm. That makes my dreams basically come true, fish wise. I have always wanted mollies, so now I want conformation that it should be okay to get them.
Garage water:
0 nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, chlorine
PH 7.8
GH 300 ppm
If you need other params, let me know!
We also established in the few last messages that the PH was rising in my current tank. I figured out there was a piece of limestone hiding behind a plant, and I got it taken out and did a water change. No PH change yet!
What do you think?

Most reactions

Back