Stocking A Fish Tank, Do's And Dont's

Alright the issues for that have been fixed to a more simpler, "just keep them in brackish" haha

Also added in some websites for doing research on fish. Thank you so much ch4rlie for the help!

I have a couple suggestions based on my fish keeping experiences:

(1) Columbian sharks can easily get to even larger than 10", at least 15".  The last time I measured mine he was 14"... and appears to still be growing.  The growth rate is notably relatively fast.

(2) Angelfish are very aggressive.  Sure they *can* live with other fish, and sure temperament varies among them, but there's a real chance of adding a new angel that will murder everybody of equal or lesser size overnight.  And even in a school of tiny angel fish purchased together, some eventual homicide is to be expected.  The only thing my angels never visibly tried to kill was my Columbian shark...

(3) "Freshwater flounders" are brackish fish typically sold by LFS as freshwater fish.  It's also extremely important that they have sand substrate for both feeding and burrowing.  This may be the only fish I've personally ever had for which there was truly zero leeway for adequate substrate.  "Specific substrate needs" might not be a bad category to add to this list 
biggrin.png

simonero said:
I have a couple suggestions based on my fish keeping experiences:

(1) Columbian sharks can easily get to even larger than 10", at least 15".  The last time I measured mine he was 14"... and appears to still be growing.  The growth rate is notably relatively fast.

(2) Angelfish are very aggressive.  Sure they *can* live with other fish, and sure temperament varies among them, but there's a real chance of adding a new angel that will murder everybody of equal or lesser size overnight.  And even in a school of tiny angel fish purchased together, some eventual homicide is to be expected.  The only thing my angels never visibly tried to kill was my Columbian shark...

(3) "Freshwater flounders" are brackish fish typically sold by LFS as freshwater fish.  It's also extremely important that they have sand substrate for both feeding and burrowing.  This may be the only fish I've personally ever had for which there was truly zero leeway for adequate substrate.  "Specific substrate needs" might not be a bad category to add to this list 
biggrin.png

Correction, my columbian cat is exactly 17" long.....  and yet such a big scaredy fish.

I think I've heard that they get to be about 20" actually.  I can probably comment on that in a couple months...  what's also quite amazing is the fact that he is in an undersized freshwater tank (I've tried so hard to re-home him) so he has grown this size while in sub-optimal conditions.  Poor baby.

The crazy thing is that I was sold this fish for a 10gal tank at a family-run store with knowledgeable employees.  Beware the LFS!

Most reactions

Back