Stocking a 180 litre tank

Tardigrade

Reaction score
Hello eveyone
Hoping to get advice on stocking my 180L fish tank.
I was thinking of 2 bristlenose catfish, guppies and tetras. However, I have only ever had Betta fish before so I'm unsure if the selection of stock is appropriate for the size of the tank, and if so how many i should stock with.
Thank you for any and all advice!

Last edited:
Thats a good sized tank so you have more options. What is the hardness of your water? That will dictate what fish would be a good fit.

Thats a good sized tank so you have more options. What is the hardness of your water? That will dictate what fish would be a good fit.
Thank you for your reply, glad to hear I have more options!
The GH is 53.7ppm and the KH is 4.

That's soft verging on very soft. Bristlenoses and tetras will be happy in that but not the guppies - they need middling to hard water. But there are plenty more fish suitable for your hardness. Besides a lot of different tetra species, there are fish such as the smaller barbs, rasboras, pencilfish and so on.

While it's cycling (are you doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, or a plant cycle?) you could take a trip round your local fish stores and see what catches your eye. Leave your wallet at home so you can't be persuaded by the store to buy anything. Then go through your lists of fish which catch your eye and look them up on
to see which ones match your hardness, are suitable for your tank size, need the same temperature and so on.

That's soft verging on very soft. Bristlenoses and tetras will be happy in that but not the guppies - they need middling to hard water. But there are plenty more fish suitable for your hardness. Besides a lot of different tetra species, there are fish such as the smaller barbs, rasboras, pencilfish and so on.

While it's cycling (are you doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, or a plant cycle?) you could take a trip round your local fish stores and see what catches your eye. Leave your wallet at home so you can't be persuaded by the store to buy anything. Then go through your lists of fish which catch your eye and look them up on
to see which ones match your hardness, are suitable for your tank size, need the same temperature and so on.
That's great to hear, the bristlenoses were the ones I was really hoping to get so lad to hear they will suit well :) Thank you for that resource, it will be greatly helpful! Also I will be doing a planted cycle.

Most reactions

Back