Stocking 30 Gallon Long

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm the new guy

Reaction score
I am about to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank. I really want a different fish. I want something rather large probably. Maybe something that is an oddball fish Something well, CrAzY. I already have 2 lyre-tail mollies, 3 albino corys (will be 6), 1 otto, 1 bristle-nose pleco so it would need to be community. The aquarium will be planted with driftwood. To sum it all up i am looking that one fish as a centerpiece to my aquarium that is: community, preferably large but it isn't a necessity, it needs to do well with plants, a 30 gallon long must be suitable for it, and of course it must be totally awesome. I don't want: angelfish(I already have an angelfish tank), more plecos, tetras, or gouramis. I know this is a very hard thing to ask for, but all suggestions will be appreciated. The tank is not brackish, the mollies do fine in freshwater, for all those that are wondering.

[quote name='I'm the new guy' timestamp='1349048623' post='3425299']
I am about to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank. I really want a different fish. I want something rather large probably. Maybe something that is an oddball fish Something well, CrAzY. I already have 2 lyre-tail mollies, 3 albino corys (will be 6), 1 otto, 1 bristle-nose pleco so it would need to be community. The aquarium will be planted with driftwood. To sum it all up i am looking that one fish as a centerpiece to my aquarium that is: community, preferably large but it isn't a necessity, it needs to do well with plants, a 30 gallon long must be suitable for it, and of course it must be totally awesome. I don't want: angelfish(I already have an angelfish tank), more plecos, tetras, or gouramis. I know this is a very hard thing to ask for, but all suggestions will be appreciated. The tank is not brackish, the mollies do fine in freshwater, for all those that are wondering.
[/quote]

Is the 30 gallon cycled?

[quote name='Crossfire' timestamp='1349048742' post='3425300']
[quote name='I'm the new guy' timestamp='1349048623' post='3425299']
[/quote]

Is the 30 gallon cycled?
[/quote]
Not yet.
I haven't acquired the aquarium yet. I will cycle it as soon as i get it then add the fish I already have.

Is the 30 gallon cycled?
[/quote]
Not yet.
I haven't acquired the aquarium yet. I will cycle it as soon as i get it then add the fish I already have.
[/quote]

Ok, here's an idea:

2x Mollies
8x Cories (they need a sand substrate, not gravel)
1x Bristlenose Plec
12x Praecox Rainbowfish or Pseudomugil Rainbowfish
3x(male/2 female) Cockatoo Cichlids (they will need coconut caves or flowerpots to breed and claim territories in)

The rainbow-fish could possibly work, but probably not. As for the Cockatoo I can't spend $70 bucks for one. Any other ideas.

You looked on liveaquaria.com, didn't you? :p
They overprice

You'll find cheaper Rainbowfish in stores, as well as the cockatoos.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an African Butterfly Fish will work.

They overprice

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an African Butterfly Fish will work.
I did look on live-aquaria haha. I also looked at butterfly fish and they looked cool. They were said to be aggressive. Would they kill my mollies or other fish?

The rainbow-fish could possibly work, but probably not. As for the Cockatoo I can't spend $70 bucks for one. Any other ideas.

They overprice

[/quote]
I did look on live-aquaria haha. I also looked at butterfly fish and they looked cool. They were said to be aggressive. Would they kill my mollies or other fish?
[/quote]

At liveaquaria, they also charge $70 for a pair, so a male and a female.

Anywho, Mollies get almost 3 inches. They're fine.
I'd be more worried about the rainbowfish getting nippy at the butterfly fish's long fins.

I have read up on the butterfly fish they seem like they might be the fish I am looking for. I wouldn't get rainbows with butter-fly. How many butter-fly could i get? Just one.

I would stick with one for now. They tend to aggressive torwards each other. One should be fine. I think rainbows would be ok, as long as you get the Praecox instead of the Pseudomugils, which tend to be more aggressive. Praecox are usually used as dither fish, and will most likely be indifferent to the butterfly fish. Provide the butterfly fish with some floating plants and he'll be happy :good:

Also, I completely forgot, can't believe it slipped my mind! Want a weird oddball schooling fish that comes from the same habitat as the Butterfly fish? Try Debauwi Catfish! A good sized school of 14 would look great, also wouldn't bother the Butterfly fish. Not as pretty as the rainbows, but from same habitat and less chance of them nipping the Butterfly Fish. It's all down to you though :good:

They also aren't bottom dwellers. They swim through the middle to the bottom part of the tank, leaving the upper echelon to the Butterfly Fish undisturbed :good:

1.jpg

Most reactions

Back