Stock Ideas

Alexbarrett2000

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to nano tank keeping I have an Aqua One aquanano 30 tank 22l

I wanted to know if I could stock a single betta-fish in it and what else I could add (not with the betta) just in general as I know about overstocking just wanted some different ideas the tank is currently cycling and has nice (fake) plants providing cover

Any ideas would be great as I can't decide

Also do overstocking apply if I add a single betta-fish and shrimps or frogs?? If no what are a good start point?

You could try shrimp, but some bettas will hunt them.

Knowing your source water (tap or well) parameters will help members suggestion options.  Obviously, aside from a single Betta (which would work, alone...Betta are not community fish), the fish will be "nano" sized and this means a more delicate physiology and usually wild caught so attention to parameters is important.  GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH; if on municipal water, check the website of your water authority for this data.

Beyond that, frogs and fish do not mix well.  Shrimp might be possible with nano fish.

Byron.

I will be using tap water with a pH of 7.2 obviously using tap water conditioning

CaCO3 mg/l Water Hardness
Ca mg/l
Degrees Clarke
Degrees French
Degrees German

Those are the figures as by the water authority

You are in luck.  With water that is soft as those numbers indicate, there are many "nano" sized fish though you may have to look around for some of them as being wild caught they can be seasonal.

The dwarf rasbora species in the genus Boraras are lovely and colourful; have a search for Boraras brigittae, Boraras maculatus, and the others, there are I believe now six species.  A group of 9-12 in your tank.  For the lower levels, one of the "dwarf" species of Corydoras will work, 8-10 of the pygmy or dwarf; Corydoras pygmaeus, C. hastatus or C. habrosus are species.

There are several other Asian species available now and then,  Another possible would be killifish, one of the small species.

Byron.

Thanks by Ron the both very colourful and fantastic looking for the tank.

Any idea where best to get the fish as I only have 1 local aquatics shop being Maidenhead aquatics so limited for choice there
Byron* silly auto correct

Alexbarrett2000 said:
Thanks by Ron the both very colourful and fantastic looking for the tank.

Any idea where best to get the fish as I only have 1 local aquatics shop being Maidenhead aquatics so limited for choice there
Byron* silly auto correct

You're welcome.  I'm not in the UK so I will leave it for members there to recommend retailers.

Not all Maidenhead Aquatics stock the same fish, but in my local one I have seen Boraras brigittae and both pygmy and habrosus cories. Have a good look round your branch but don't let them persuade you to get unsuitable fish! If you haven't already cycled the tank, you have plenty time to decide.

The Maidenhead near me tends to have your typical fish tetras hatches molly's guppies plates and the like or large plecs/birchers etc

Most reactions

Back