Step-by-step Guide To Weekly Maintenance

I have some questions about refilling the fish tank:

1. Can I pour the water directly in the tank than add dechlorinator or do I have to add it to a bucket first than add decholrinator before pouring the "clean" water into the tank? How would I know how much decholrinator to pour in the bucket?

2. After the clean water is in the tank and I have everything turned on and hooked up, how long shall i wait, until it's "safe" to put my fish back in?

Hi I am very new to this Hobby I inherited the fish and tank when friends went to live in Scotland.

The original tank started to leak when we were away for the weekend 2 weeks ago so I had no alternative than to buy another tank. Unfortunately I could not do any other than put water in the tank straight from the tap (it had the blue stuff in it) then fill the tank to the top with the remaining water out of the tank and obviously put the fish straight in.

They seem to be OK and happy in the new tank but how will I tell if they are suffering from being put straight into the new tank without it settling down.

You mentioned a gravel vac can I get one from the local shop and how much are they please? thank you.

I have a Plec, 2 Cat fish, 3 Zebras, 2 Black Mollies, 2 Lemon Mollies, 2 Neons and 5 bleeding Hearts in the tank

If I can add my 2p worth, over the last year or so, I've started preparing my freshly dechlorinated buckets of water the night before the change. I also use narrow tubing to put the fresh water in the tank. Obviously it takes longer to top up the tank, but I'm sure it's better for the fish to become slowly accustomed to the new water.

I do this also. I use 3 of the large 5 liter bottles of water and let them stand overnight

My other half has just thrown a question at me that has got me flummoxed (freely admit i'm a newbie!). We are getting started with some mature media but what happens when this can no longer be cleaned and we need to purchase new? I assume it does deteriorate? If so, will any new we add need to build up again? How will this work when the tank is filled? If this has already been answered elsewhere, if you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot

My other half has just thrown a question at me that has got me flummoxed (freely admit i'm a newbie!). We are getting started with some mature media but what happens when this can no longer be cleaned and we need to purchase new? I assume it does deteriorate? If so, will any new we add need to build up again? How will this work when the tank is filled? If this has already been answered elsewhere, if you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot

Above you say you are getting started with some mature media? Maybe filter fiber or some other piece of the likes I'm sure. If that is the case then you just stuff it into the filter and it will kick start the new media that comes with the new filter. So in a sense you have two seperate pieces of filter media in the filter, maybe more (depending on the filter). So all you do, is when you need to change the media you do only one at a time, that way you will always have some "established" media in the filter. Hope this helps

I got a question on this. When I do my water changes I let the water I am going to put in sit out over the period of one day to let the impurities of it leave. My mum had said to do this as I wouldn't have to add chemicals to de-chlorinate the water. Is this true?

Above you say you are getting started with some mature media? Maybe filter fiber or some other piece of the likes I'm sure. If that is the case then you just stuff it into the filter and it will kick start the new media that comes with the new filter. So in a sense you have two seperate pieces of filter media in the filter, maybe more (depending on the filter). So all you do, is when you need to change the media you do only one at a time, that way you will always have some "established" media in the filter. Hope this helps
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Didn't even take into consideration the media that would come with the new filter we purchase. :blush:

I got a question on this. When I do my water changes I let the water I am going to put in sit out over the period of one day to let the impurities of it leave. My mum had said to do this as I wouldn't have to add chemicals to de-chlorinate the water. Is this true?

That is true chlorine does disapate from water over time. It is just easier and much quicker to just add a de-chlorinator to the the tap water, such as Seachem's Prime, it is one of the best.

Ok. I just have certain days set aside for my fishies and I always make sure to have the water sitting out. Should I still add some chemicals to dechlorinate it?

Ok. I just have certain days set aside for my fishies and I always make sure to have the water sitting out. Should I still add some chemicals to dechlorinate it?

I would say yes - just to be on the safe side. It's worth trying to find out from your local water company whether they add Chloramines. These CAN'T be left to dissipate like Chlorine can.

Tank Maintenance

Weekly tank maintenance is vital to the health of your fish. For example, if you have read the bit on cycling, you'll know that deadly nitrates can normally only be removed through water changes. Live plants can help some, but for the beginner, this is normally not an option. In addition, if you only top-up your tank's water due to evaporation, minerals present in your tap water slowly build up to toxic levels. Water changes are necessary no matter what your tank set up.

Maintenance usually involves scraping algae, cleaning the gravel/sand/substrate, removing and replacing about 1/4 (25%) of the water, and, if necessary, cleaning filters (please read the instructions below on how to clean your filters before you do it!)

The following list of equipment is necessary to ensure proper maintenance:
  • Gravel Vac. This is simply a tube with one end larger than the other, but it is crucial.
  • Bucket. Large buckets will make water changes easier.
  • Algae scraper. You're gonna get it, so get one of these before algae gets out of control.
  • Dechlorinator. You should already have this at hand.
  • Tap water.
Here, then, are instructions for weekly tank maintenance. Please note that this should be done weekly:
  1. Algae. Get out your trusty algae scraper and begin removing it from the tank sides. Never use a metal scraper on an acrylic tank.
  2. Heater. Turn off the heater. A heater without water to conduct heat to will overheat and fail, creating cold and unhappy fish and fishkeepers.
  3. Beneficial Bacteria. Depending on the type of your filter, you may need to turn it off. Your goal is basically to keep the bacteria at least submerged in the tank water at all times. If this means turning your filter off and throwing the media (sponges, wool, etc.) in to the tank to float, then by all means, do it. Certain filters (such as hang-on-back AquaClear) can be left running up to a certain point. The important thing to remember is if the filter is left to dry, you will have to re-start your cycling process -- not fun. Please always keep your filter in tank water during maintenance.
  4. Vaccing. You can now gravel vac. This will do two things. One, it will clean the gravel of fish waste, uneaten fish food, and other nasties; two, it will remove a portion of your water. Here's how gravel vaccing works:
    • Place a bucket directly below your tank.
    • Insert the larger end into the tank until it reaches the bottom; you'll have to keep a hand on this end at all times.
    • Get a siphon started in one of two ways. Here is the less hygienic way: Suck on the smaller end until water just passes the highest point of the vac tube (you can clasp your hands around the tube if you don't want to directly touch the tube with your mouth). Quickly put the end into the bucket. The more hygienic way is to purchase a self-starter kit. Just put it in the tank and fill the cylinder with water..lift it up and let it start to drain then dip it back in the water and you should have a suction after that. Either way you chose, water will begin flowing from the tank to the bucket without you doing any work. Gravitational potential energy does it for you!
    • Move the larger end that is still in the tank back and forth through the gravel. Lighter particles such as poo and uneaten food (a sign of over-feeding!) will be sucked into the vac, leaving the heavier gravel behind. Be careful of bottom dwellers such as cories; you may find it helpful to keep a ready hand by the smaller end of the tube to stop the flow of the siphon incase a fish gets sucked up accidentally. But if you are careful, this should never happen.
    • Once about 20 to 25% of the tank water has been removed, stop the siphon by raising the larger end above the now lower water line.
  5. Filter. If you noticed that your filter's flow rate has been reduced in the past week, it is likely due to clogs. Take your filter media and give it a light rinse in the bucket water. NEVER CLEAN A FILTER USING PLAIN TAP WATER, as the chlorine will kill all of the cycle bacteria. You're not trying to make the media look new again (a well-loved sponge will be permanently discolored), but rather just removing scum and large water-clogging particles.
  6. Refilling. Double check that no fish made their way into the bucket, then empty out the bucket into your lawn or toilet. Add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator to the bucket, then refill it using tap water. You can adjust your tap-water to the temperature of your tank, or if you have high heavy-metal content in your hot water line, use cold water mixed with hot water from the kettle. Either way, make sure the temperature of this new water is nearly equal to the tank's water.[/i] (Incidentally, this is a good time to rearrange the decor in your tank if you think it is necessary, since you won't have to stick your whole arm into tank-high water.) Carefully add the new water to your tank.
  7. Turning everything back on. If necessary, put the filter material back into the filter and turn everything (including the heater) back on. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to do this. If it helps, put a stick-note on the front of the fish tank as an in-your-face reminder.
You should now be set. If you like, you can test your water parameters before and/or after water changes to ensure 20 to 25% is enough. If your nitrates are still high, say greater than 60 ppm, you are likely over stocked or your tap-water contains high amounts of nitrates. Complain to you water company if the latter is true.

Thanks to wuvmybetta for the self-starting kit suggestion and Irf for the possibility of metals in hot water notice.

the info in this post is fantastic and has helped newbie's like myself very much. this is why i joined in the first place to get good help and advice from poeple like yourself many many thanks :good: :good: :good:

I wish I saw this before I cleaned the tank this weekend and killed my pleco....well written topic.

Most reactions

Back