State Of Emergency

Lynden

a "fish hater"
Reaction score
Logic broke after I returned home from school today. My Herald's Angel was dead on the ground (gravel). I quickly examined the other fish, and they appeared to be listless and heavily breathing. This is very odd; I have 2 large filters in there and a powerhead pointed at the surface to increase aeration in the increasing summer heat. Well, my Blue Devil is turning, and my Maroon Clown looks like he might be next. So I thought that it could be ammonia, or somehow excessive heat (temperature 78 degrees F).

But get this- the Heraldi showed no signs of disease or any type of poisoning; he was in pristine condition- but moreover, I have a Chocolate chip Starfish in there and he has shown absolutely no signs of deterioration. And bristleworms have been going awol all day.

I recently did a water change and vacuumed up much debris. I thought this would help them, but it has appeared to hinder them. I am worried. I need help. I do not know my ammonia or nitrite levels, but pH is normal. Remember, my starfish, who cannot tolerate these sorts of things, is perfectly fine.

-Lynden
Thanks

more specifics would help, like how long has the tank been up how long have the fish been in there, and what your nitrates ext.. are at. just because your starfish is fine does not mean that your water is good. I had a choclate chip star when i first started out and he was hardier than any of my fish.

The tank is a little more than a year old, I have had the for for several months.

My hawkfish, blue devil, and beloved green chromis/golden damsel hybrid have joined the casualties. But the condition appears to be clearing up :hey: :D

My Koran angel may drop off first, though :-(

You really need to be testing for those nitrogen wastes (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). It's all just guesswork without that information. Having those kits on hand is a life saver when things go pear-shaped like this.

However, as you said things worsened with a water change, I am wondering if anyting might be wrong with the supply. Do you purify the water before adding salt, or just take it from the tap? If the latter, have there been any bulletins from the water company warning of changes in their treatment regime?

Finally, what symptoms are the fish showing? Any external signs? Have you added any fish recently, or added anything that could be causing this?

Although the starfish appears to be unaffected, it would also be worth testing for salinity - what is yours at?

Need some water stats...

How have you got 1 year into owning the tank without a proper test kit?

Thanks for the suggestions; indeed, I should have more test kits, I am going to get a master test kit today.

But I am afraid its too late; the damage has been done. Every single fish and the sea star died last night.

The last vestige of multicellular life I saw this morning was a small hermit crab, and tons of bristle worms.

But alas, it could be worse;
My house didn't explode.

-Lynden

Most reactions

Back