Starting Up

spike123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ll need as much help as possible
i have a 150-200ltr tank
want to keep a fuzzy dwarf lionfish one or a pair (what would you suggest)?
a couple of very hardy corals(think this best as im a begginer,thinkin either a mushroom or worm type unless there are any other types that are very hardy and beautifull to look at)
and some shrimp (thinking fire,cleaner,boxer)
would also like a small conch type snail (saw it in lfs they didnt have a clue what it is and pissed me right off because of this.its kind of like pastry rolled up white in coloure and blue freckley spot sort of things)
also a lightning scollop think these are great things.and are very fascinating to watch.

i dont wish to get ott paramiters.just basics and begginer things like what i need to start off although i have a tank and i no i need a sufficiant filter and hearter,i just need to no what else i would need and kind of a rough estimate on price as this has been my dream tank since the age of 10 lol.have kept fish for roughly 10 yrs and now im defo moving on to marines i no what i want just need all the help and advice.there isnt much room for comprimise on the inhabitants unless a good reason is stated (although i have kept the so called not alouad to keep together types of tropicals for years).
also i dont want to overcroud it atall,just plain and simple as the only swimming fish are going to be fuzzy dwarfs.
would also like to no the stats of these inhabitants from people who have kept them befor not from factsheets i.e water paramiters good and fatal stuff like that.
but as im a beginer im not going to be ungratefull for all the help i can get lol.
thanks for reading this
and please help
spike

well the lion may well make meal out of those shrimp

lightening scollop do not do well in home aquaria at all so avoid this one.

lion fish arent usually kept in reef tanks, its not impossible, but in a reef you end up with your hands in the tank a fair bit. lion fish sting if they touch you and it hurts like hell for a week or so

:hi: Spike

I would agree with Ben, leave the lion fish to a fowlr tank - learn your craft with your current tank, learn how to keep a reef and stick to hardier species :good:

Seffie x

thanks for the great advice i will be following it.
as for equipment i havent found much info on types or whats needed all i no is filter,heater, 24hour lighting,
RO water?? salt? but minerals and things??

what types of reef would you say are very hardy?

thanks again
spike

Rights start at the beginning :good:

You have a tank of 150 litres, a nice size to start with.

The filter is your live rock and is the heart and lungs of the tank, so is worth getting right.
You will need approx 17 Kilos of Live rock.

Aragonite sand - a big bag

Skimmer - you get what you pay for here, look out for a secondhand deltec mce 300

two powerheads for flow of approx 20/25% - many here use koralias or tunze

Lighting: what do you already have on the tank? By the way, lighting is not on 24 hrs.

Test kits: salifert, ammonia, nitRIte, nitRAte, ph, phosphate

RO water

Salt - look for one with a calcium level of 400 or above (they are usually the better ones)

Refractometer

Water containers

So, there is the start for you

Rights start at the beginning :good:

You have a tank of 150 litres, a nice size to start with.

The filter is your live rock and is the heart and lungs of the tank, so is worth getting right.
You will need approx 17 Kilos of Live rock.

Aragonite sand - a big bag

Skimmer - you get what you pay for here, look out for a secondhand deltec mce 300

two powerheads for flow of approx 20/25% - many here use koralias or tunze

Lighting: what do you already have on the tank? By the way, lighting is not on 24 hrs.

Test kits: salifert, ammonia, nitRIte, nitRAte, ph, phosphate

RO water

Salt - look for one with a calcium level of 400 or above (they are usually the better ones)

Refractometer

Water containers

So, there is the start for you

Sounds like a popular Christmas Carol,

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me a 150 litre tank

On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me a deltec mce300.

...... now that reminds me , need to send my coral christmas present list to santa.
biggrin.gif

Most reactions

Back