Starting Over

teacherspet

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had this tank since Christmas, but last week, one by one, all the fish died within 3 days. I had 4 tiger barbs and a candy striped pleco in a 10 gallon. I had just added 2 of the barbs from the LFS the week before as I had transferred 2 gouramis I had into my 20 galoon so I could have a barb only tank. I think they had a fungus, and I tried to treat it, but unfortunately now all I have is 10 gallon full of green water. So, I have decided not to give up, but to start over. My concern is how to clean up the tank so that I don't have any of the disease remaining. Do I need to buy a new net and siphon (once I remove water)? Any assistance on the steps I need to take would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I would empty the tank, wash everything, replace the fliter sponges etc, buy new net and siphon, then wash the gravel and the tank (if you can move it!) and recyle the tank. I've never had to do it myself but its what I would do if I were in your position.

make sure the tank is nice and clean, take it outside scrub it and hose it down a few times.

leave it dry for as long as you can bare!!

replace ALL filter media and would be best to replace the substarte unless you boiled it.

let everything dry out though, once it's dry any desease should die off, you can mess aorund with bleatch but then you have to make sure you remove that.

Most reactions

Back