Starting Over

jrd77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
If there is a problem in a tank with persistant cloudiness and some strange film over the top of the tank that water changes for 3 weeks has not been able to solve, is is best to start over with the tank? Is it possible? I do not know what else to do...

Is the water cloudy all over or can you see that around 1 place the water is a lot cloudier than on another?

I have had the same problem before, except that it was the worst around the driftwood. In my first aquarium I took the wood out and from them on I've had no problems at all, in my second aquarium I took it out, put it in boiling water serveral times untill it made the water less cloudy. After that I put it back in, it still caused it to go cloudy for about a week, then one morning I woke up, it was completely clear and has been fine since then.

Edit: I see you just bought up your old post again ;) looking at its a milky white colour, I do not think the driftwood will be the thing causing the problems.

Personally, I don't think starting over is the way to go with this tank. "Starting over" is what caused these problems in the first place.

When you do your water changes, how much water are you changing exactly? And (most important) are you neutralizing the clorine before you add the new stuff?

I'd suggest you do your water changes every day like you have been doing, and change your carbon. JUST the carbon. Rinse the white filter bag off in old tank water, rinse the new carbon in the same old tank water and put them back in the tank.

Are the fish gasping or anything? Appearing at all distressed by the cloudiness?

ref the film on top: I just had a film like you describe on my brand new 70 gallon. This tank is as yet uncycled so I wasn't too concerned with it. Here's a quick tip though, to remove that film.

Take several sheets of paper towel. One at a time, lay one end of the paper towel on top of the water at one end of the tank. Let about half of it get wet. Keep hold of the other end in your hands. Now drag the paper towel through the top of the water. When you get to the other side, raise it straight up and some of the film will naturally come with it. Throw that towel out. Repeat the process several times, each time with a new clean towel, until you can see that you've cleared the top fairly well. If the film reappears the next day, do it again. I only had to do it once and my tank cleared up but the underlying cause of film on the top of the water hasn't fully been addressed. You need more volume of water breaking the surface in order to get that film DOWN into the water where your filter can grab it.

One last note: Do you have an airstone running in that tank? If not, get one ASAP and I'll bet that helps a lot. Best of luck!

I was changing 25-30% of the water almost every day, making sure the added water was declorinated before putting it into the tank. Maybe it was too much declor?

In my filter (Penguin 330 w/ 2 biowheels) of my tank, all I have are 2 blue bags with carbon inside of them and the blue bags are sealed shut. The are 2 filter media baskets behind the blue bags but they have never been filled. I was told to just use the blue bags with Carbon in them and to change them every month (alternating which one I change every 2 weeks so I do not remove both bags at the same time). SHould I put some kind of carbon in these media baskets? WHat kind? And I rinse this carbon in tank water, not tap?

They are not gasping, although the Oscar (that shouldn't even be in this tank but is homeless right now) looks really rough. He's eating but his scales look bad and his color is not great. They are not appearing to be stressed out by the cloudiness but they are getting really stressed with the constant water changing I think. They all still eat but no one is acting totally "normal." They all appear to be most normal about 30 minutes after a water change (which I just did).

I do not have an air pump or air stones or anything like that. I'm not really sure how all that works. Do you have any recommendtions on brands and set-up?

Sorry for all the questions!

jrd77 said:
Your water changes look fine to me.

The carbon: Ok, this has long been a pet peeve of mine. The manufacturers of these filters make these little bags that we have to throw away in order to change- so they make more $$ of course! What I do is this:

I cut very carefully along the top of the bag and shake all the old carbon out. I then take a high quality carbon, Marineland has a good one, and rinse it in old tank water so as not to get *any* chlorine in my tanks. (ok, so I'm a little anal but it works for me!) I then just fill that old bag with the new carbon. It won't GO anywhere once it's in place in the filter, don't worry about the top being open.

Alternatively, you could just fill your filter media bags behind them with the new carbon of course- this is just for future reference I tell you my methods.

But yes, by all means, get some new carbon in that filter without destroying your existing bacteria.

There are lots of air pumps on the market, but personally I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Air Pump 400. They also make smaller models. The pump is then hooked up with airline tubing (very cheap) to an airstone or airwand. Personally again, I use an airwand because I like the smaller bubbles. Be SURE to buy a CHECK VALVE and install it between your pump and tank. This prevents your tank water from syphoning out should your air pump fail. Do NOT forego this item- it's very important. Bury your airstone/wand under the gravel along the back (or wherever your heart desires really) but not too deeply under the gravel so as to impede the bubbles too much. In fact, for now, don't bury it all all. Just attach it to the back wall with the suction cups provided. Once the tank is clear, then bury it.

Your fish will greatly benefit from an added airstone/wand. I don't run any tanks without one. They disperse the water so the filter is more efficient and as I said before, help to break up the surface so as to allow more oxygen into the water.

Hope this helps!

Most reactions

Back