Starting Fishless Cycle

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wend

Reaction score
Hello (Im back from the braskish section, theres not much life down there)

OK Im on day 4, PH is 8, temp 29, ammonia is remaining at 4 as dosed.

Im not expecting too much to be happening just yet.

Would like to ask though, how anal are other people re. fish tank water and testing chemicals. My tank did have crabs living and pooing in there and still has some leftover food in it. It is on my work top and this is where I do my testing. Im a bit paranoid about the water from the tank dirtying my sink/worktop etc. Obviously its good practice to be careful, wash hands, wipe up after etc but Id like to worry less. I shouldnt be thoroughly disinfecting the whole area or anything should I? Any comments.

I dont wear gloves when testing and can smell the chemicals. It all gets launched down the sink and my hands washed after. Is it OK to wipe up with my regular kitchen cloth.

I cant answer as effectively as i would like to, Ammonia on its own is a very strong and nasty product. How ever with the amount of water it is diluted with i cant see that being a problem.

If you are testing with an API master kit, the bottle tell you that some of them are corrosive etc...

Just check the bottle. I would also wash my hands if i got some on me :D

I just wipe everything down with some soap (not the tank itself) as I normally would. The tank itself, I use an environmentally friendly (vinegar based) glass cleaner or vinegar, making sure to not get any in the water. Commercial cleaning products will harm fish and bacteria in the tank, and can cause problems.

In short, there is normally nothing particularly nasty living in most tanks, so just soap and water are good enough to clean most stuff off.

Well, for the most part deadly if you drink a bottle of it :) The worst ones can give you chemical burns if you spill the bottle over yourself, but when diluted? They're probably less harmful than any cleaning chemicals.

Can't say I'm particularly squeamish about the poo..

I follow very similar practices as what KK described and I'm not particularly worried about much in a freshwater tank. WD

Most reactions

Back