Starting Fishless Cycle Thread

The first reading today (Day 11) was a little later due to a much needed lay in!! As the 1st readings were done under natural day light it was a little easier than when I have to carry out the readings under false light, which apart from weekends will remain the same. I did get two other opinions on the readings today separately. Fortunately we all agreed on them with the exception of the 2nd reading on nitrates, one opinion was 80 two others agreed on 40 so I recorded that reading as being 40 which I was in agreement with. Hope this looks like things are progressing okay still? :rolleyes:

Have posted Day 12 readings, but I'm really not clear on the link between nitrites and nitrates in the cycling process. I understand that I'm waiting for the nitrites to drop to zero but do not know what part nitrates play in the process, if any. Have read the pinned articles again but it's still as clear as mud to me I'm afraid. If anyone is feeling patient perhaps they could spare a few mins to explain this curious chemical balance in very simple terms......... please. :unsure:

The link between the nitrites and nitrates is simple. Bacteria will process and remove nitrites to form nitrates. As Nitrites start to process well, the nitrates will go up because the nitrites are going down. There is not a perfect relationship between them because plants are constantly consuming nitrogen and will divert some of it. All tanks, except one running in pitch dark, have plants in them in the form of algae after just a few days. Some are even planted on purpose.

yup nitrite is converted to nitrate by the second lot of filter bacteria, you remove the nitrate by doing a large water change at the end of the cycle.

out of all the chemicals you test for nitrate is the least toxic, you'll always have some in the tank, to get an ideal of what level you should aim for when the tank is running with fish in test your tap water, most people have some nitrate in it, up to 40ppm is not unusual. a sign of a sensibly stocked, filtered and maintained tank is that the nitrates rise by no more than 20ppm during a week. Not an exact science, just a guideline. :good:

Thanks OldMan47 and Miss Wiggle for explaining it to me, it is a little clearer now, and I will check my nitrate level from the tap near the end of the cycle. Just one more query, if the ammonia level at the first test of the day is reading zero should I still continue to test the ammonia level at the second testing or is it not really necessary then?

Thanks Waterdrop. From today (day 14) if the ammonia reading in the morning is zero, I will not be recording it in the evening. Just waiting for the nitrates to drop now! :good:

Day 15, no change in readings, but I would just like to let Waterdrop know that whilst I'm waitng I am working on my vowels sounds so that next time I hope to get my nitrites and nitrates the right way around............. here's hoping anyway! :good:

Have added todays readings, (no change) but I have noticed an increase in the tiny soft particles that have been settling on the plant leaves. At first I thought it was grains of sand but it is soft to touch. Also, tonight it is the first time that I have been aware of some of the small particles settling on the tank sides, in a couple of places it looks like tiny mould.

Last night I did remove the anubias plant that was attatched to a stone as it was going mouldy at the root part. This particular plant looked the least healthiest out of all I have bought. The remaining plants I am pleased to say, all look fine but all have the tiny particles on the leaves ,otherwise they are a healthy colour and not showing any other worrying signs.

Any ideas on the following:

What the substance could be?

Is it harmful to the tank or plants ect?

What action do I need to take if any?

Hope my description is okay and sorry to be a pain................ :blush:

You look to be in that final "stubborn" stage after the nitrite spike is over, ammonia is being processed down to zero in 12 hours and nitrite is being processed down near zero (1.0 in your case) and it just seems to stick there, without going to zero. We see this a lot and all and all its a good sign that you are near the end and should be finalizing your stocking plans, which can be quite complicated if you haven't tackled that yet. (# of fish tank can allow, minimum size of schools for various species, compatibility of species with each other)

I can't figure out what your tiny soft white particles might be. That doesn't ring a bell for anything I can think of. Only remote possibility might be that you are seeing bits of "biofilm" which is a film coating that gets on everything all over the aquarium from different species of bacteria (mostly (well, more) heterotrophs out in the tank, unlike the autotrophs we are growing in the filter) ... the biofilms are mostly clear but eventually get other stuff stuck to them and appear whitish on the edges. Usually they are described as little sheets of film pulling up on a surface, however, not evenly sand sized flecks like you are describing. Yours sounds more like something that might have come off the substrate or decorations or from a filter media or perhaps there was something strange in your ammonia (but obviously your ammonia is effective, as you are having a very fast fishless cycle!)

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for your help Waterdrop, I know I need to be patient during the cycle but I'm sure you know it gets to a point where you keep looking at the empty tank and can't wait to get some fish in it. Arrrrrrrrrgh................patience!!

As for the fluffy particles I'll watch what happens with them. They can be wiped off the leaves very easily but do return quite quickly. I think I will need to get something to clean the glass with at the weekend as I have just looked now and I can still see the tiny areas of mould which I have only noticed today.

As for fish well, I've given this some thought and spent alot of time looking around local fish shops and I do have some Julli corys in mind for the bottom area, along with some Harlequin Rasboras. Have not thought about numbers yet, as I still need to play the waiting game, but it is good to have something to look forward to. :rolleyes:

Oh I love Jullis, had them all the time when I was growing up. And rasboras (Harlequins) I like even more. I always wanted them growing up but never got to have them (were never available in those days, at least in the places in the states where I was it seemed.) Now we have 4 and they are just as beautiful as I'd always imagined, a sort of indescribable iridescent pink orange that even includes the eye. I plan to get a couple more (we had 5 but one jumped!) as I think 6 would be about a perfect minimal shoal. They, like danios, are a perfect tank starter species.

~~waterdrop~~

Day 17 success at last, my first zero nitrite reading and boy am I happy, sooooooooooo happy :lol: what a good start to weekend! I have to say it was the most beautiful shade of blue I have seen in a very long time and unexpected, but, very very welcome indeed. Feel so happy now, just hoping it continues, so fingers crossed!

Glad you like my choice of fish Waterdrop and also think they are suitable starter fish. At this moment I feel them getting a little closer. So excited now. :nod:

Do I now just carry on raising the ammonia to 4.0ppm from zero as I have been doing and recording as usual? :D

Most reactions

Back