Starting A 20 Gallon Sw Tank

Joeyt66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok where to start......
I am a newbie to saltwater tanks(as you will see)but I am experienced in Freshwater. My plan is to start up a 20 gallon SW tank get used to some of the maintence and other things that differ from fresh water. Then the plan gets expensive in turning my 135 fresh water into SW. So when purchasing the stuff i need for the 20 gallon i will have in mind that i am upgrading (probally with in this new year coming)so buy accordingly.
Ok so the 20 gallon is currently running with a fluval 104. The light fixture is has 15 watt aqua-globulb. What kind of substrate do i need to purchase ?(is there any dark colors available) Do i need live rock? Do i need a skimmer? what do i need for a clean up crew? Any other information would be great. I am currently reading some of the other topics posted but i prefer information directed at the questions that i ask. Sorry if this has been covered before.
Thanks in advance Joe

If the fluval you're refering to is the canister one that does 125gph you will probably need some power heads or something. On a 20gal tank that is less than 10x gph, which is pretty low. I am still a marine newbie but I've already learned that there are a few things I will never be without for future marine setups: live rock, aragonite-based substrate (some might come in black? think I saw some once but most is white/ivory), and high gph ratings. Live rock is a huge maintenance saver since it completes the sw nitrogen cycle by removing nitrate, and aragonite substrate is a valuable Ph buffer. Past that I better stop so I dont stick my newbie foot in my mouth lol.

I dont know anything really about lighting, so I wont go there. There is black sand, but youd probably want to mix it with some lighter colored aragonite as well, as it will help buffer your system[especially if you have a sand sifting goby or something to keep it oxygenated] You need LR because it adds the beneficial bacteria you need to cycle the tank, especially if you cure your own, that will be your cycling. You will need a skimmer for the bigger tank you are planning on, but not for the 20 [so you can wait for that big investment] Hermit crabs do a good job cleaning up the brown algae phase your tank will go through, and some snails are always a good idea.

The lighting is inadequater to support corals, but, enought for FOWLR (fish only with live rock). It's funny..most people start off the other way around, with a large marine tank since it is 'much easier' and than setup a nano reef using stuff from their larger tank. SH

Id say you should pick up the fish and place it under a lightbulb. Remember to leave a string connecting to the tank to provide an escape route. In case he fails to use the string, leave an airhorn near the tank so he can signal you.

Id say you should pick up the fish and place it under a lightbulb. Remember to leave a string connecting to the tank to provide an escape route. In case he fails to use the string, leave an airhorn near the tank so he can signal you.
what the hell are you talkin about that made no sense whatso ever

That post is complete and utter bulls**t Lucas.

Try to have 4 watts per gallon for corals, it needs to be at least 6500k, preferably higher for aesthetics, like 10000k.

Use white aragonite sand. It will look by far the best and have the best buffering capabilites.

As for a skimmer, I would reccomend one. But it is not a necessity. If you could have a refugium with some caulerpa, it will absorb some of the nitrogenous compounds that a skimmer would normally help remove.

-Lynden

I would like to say that if you're definitely getting the bigger tank then buy according to the requirements of that tank rather than the smaller one you have at the moment. I know it sounds stupid but many people (including me) have bought stuff only to have to spend more when moving to the bigger tank, and trust me, it works out cheaper to just buy big in the first place.

You should be aiming for around x40 the volume of water for your flow rate and I would really recommend getting a skimmer, especially seeing as your new to the SW scene and you're starting with what is essentially a 'Nano' tank. A skimmer will help to buffer any mistakes you make with over feeding, etc.
With regards to Live Rock, get as much as you can afford and buy the best you can - Live Rock is the most important part of the setup and will save you a lot of grief in the long run.
Stick with the lights you have and forget about corals apart from low light ones such as mushies, etc. With your tank being a new setup, going out and buying corals is not what you want to be spending your money on at this time, wait until you have the correct water quality, water flow, etc. before buying corals - most have very specific requirements, requirements that your new system cannot support at this time.
When buying clean-up crew aim for at least one snail and one hermit crab per gallon and a good tip is to buy a clean-up crew every time you visit the LFS.

HTH

Thanks for the help, but after posting and talking to pepole i think i will go ahead first with my 125 gallon. I know i will like it and get alot of enjoyment from it. So why spend the money on the 20 gallon when i can put that money towards my big tank.

Thanks for the help, but after posting and talking to pepole i think i will go ahead first with my 125 gallon. I know i will like it and get alot of enjoyment from it. So why spend the money on the 20 gallon when i can put that money towards my big tank.
Wise Decision :nod:

By Jove! I think he's got it!

At last......someone sensible who listens to advice.Congratulations! You're well on your way to owning a lovely reef system :D

[[/quote]

By Jove! I think he's got it!

At last......someone sensible who listens to advice.Congratulations! You're well on your way to owning a lovely reef system :D
[/quote]
Thank you for all the information, but i must worn you i will be asking lots of questions before i begin lol thanks everyone for the help thus far

Most reactions

Back