Started Making My Own Tank

Mertus

Reaction score
Just wanted to share, nothing specific here.

The other day I went and bought some glass from my local glass shop A&B Glass. I got a tank which wen done will size to (in centimetres)

-80cm Length
-40 cm Height
-30cm Width

I got some aquatic safe silicone, clear duck tape and masking tape.
Carving knife
Sand Paper
Spoon
And a mat.

I have lamiated floors so I had a straight surface to work on.
Yesterday I went back home from work and started on it, it took me about hmm lets see, 2 hours to attach the base and back glassses to gether. I ducktapes the side glass to it so it holds in place.
Its so painful on the hands mind u lol, the sharp edges of the glass have gave me really deep cuts.

I used my fingers more than the spoon to even out the silicone, used masking tape to get a clean finish so the silicone dont go all over the place.

Today at my hour lunch break I went home (I live walking distance from work, estate agent), I silicones the two side glass at home today and left it there. Its all so very exciting. I was gonna take pics of it but alas no batteries for digi cam.

I got a long way to go still for it to be complete really.

Im going to divide it in two and use one side for a juvenile red wolf fish and the other to breed my livebearers.
Im going to build another
tank for my redwolf when it grows bigger.

Its actaully a lot of fun, its more satisfying when you know you yourself have put the time and effort into making it possible.

I cant wait till its done, ill try and take some pictures if I can.

Waaaaaaaaah
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

good luck with it please show us pics of ure tank when its all finished im sure its going to be brill,,,,

will do,

just waiting for work to finish so I can rush home and take some.
got an hour and a half to go

lalalala

Heh, work... pffft :shifty:

I'd get a pair of gloves to prevent the slashed fingers if I were you 8)

You have sandpaper, you have sharp glass edges. What do you think you should have done prior to assembling the tank?

That's right, sand the edges down. Works a treat and saves your hands.

It is fun building tanks, but it invariably costs more than buying tanks, this is why I have only ever built one tank.

Here are the latest pics

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

oh and the dates on the pics are obviously wrong
setting wrong on digicam :/

Ive finished all for sides of it now and got me my plexiglass too to dive a portion of it as a breeding tank. Ill post some pictures later when I get back home.
oh and Ive also sanded down the edges of the glass :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

oh im gonna have internal filters for it, i still dont quiet get the concept of how external filters work. I dunno its one of those thinks you just dontget :/

Most reactions

Back