Started Making Lid And Custom Lighting For 5 Ft Tank

do you run all those strips from 1 plug? just wonder how you done it as you said each line is so long so did you seperate the 5m into smaller pieces some how?

yeh i cut them to length and used rgb connectors to connect each 1.4m strip

oh thanks i was thinking of the same thing but didnt really want 3 plugs used up in my plug sockets just for the lighting

wow this looks amazing what colour did you paint the wood looks stunning

Wow i like this. Can you post a link to led, remote and connectors so we can buy em!! Cheers

Amazing!.. Very inspiring also. However I have to ask, why are these not suitable for plants? Surely they would be if you buy different LEDs? Some further information on this would be handy Steve.. Thanks :)

Looks cool, Shame its utterly useless for plants and therefor not what I want :3

Amazing!.. Very inspiring also. However I have to ask, why are these not suitable for plants? Surely they would be if you buy different LEDs? Some further information on this would be handy Steve.. Thanks
smile.png

to answer your question deadly, plants need a certain Wattage and a certain Temp in K in order to grow, now standard LED from say a Xmas tree are typically 0.1 to 0.3w and have a K value that will be useless to plants enough for light but useless on plants now the W on steve's LED's are 3w that is sufficient given enough of them to provide the power and have a correct K value sorry i do now know much info apart from that, you can usually tell by how there made and how cheap they are tbh yes you can get LED's for like £15 but again they are no good for plants, in order to get plants they need the correct values because this requires more effort i think on the company the value increases in some cases by 5 to 10x the amount :)

hope this has helped a little, i am learning LED and this new temp or K value that i not know about until a few days ago myself haha, im sure steve will tell you correctly if you PM or post a thread up :)

Amazing!.. Very inspiring also. However I have to ask, why are these not suitable for plants? Surely they would be if you buy different LEDs? Some further information on this would be handy Steve.. Thanks
smile.png

to answer your question deadly, plants need a certain Wattage and a certain Temp in K in order to grow, now standard LED from say a Xmas tree are typically 0.1 to 0.3w and have a K value that will be useless to plants enough for light but useless on plants now the W on steve's LED's are 3w that is sufficient given enough of them to provide the power and have a correct K value sorry i do now know much info apart from that, you can usually tell by how there made and how cheap they are tbh yes you can get LED's for like £15 but again they are no good for plants, in order to get plants they need the correct values because this requires more effort i think on the company the value increases in some cases by 5 to 10x the amount
smile.png

hope this has helped a little, i am learning LED and this new temp or K value that i not know about until a few days ago myself haha, im sure steve will tell you correctly if you PM or post a thread up
smile.png

Thanks for the help :)

this thread still going - lol

well condensation has got into the connections and my lights now have a mind of their own

so i am now going to buy some pre-made 1.2m strips - 1 blue 1 white
will remove the front bar so i have more access into the tank as the gaps between bars is about 5" - not ideal really

suppose u learn as u go along and live with what u built before realising ur mistakes

this thread still going - lol

well condensation has got into the connections and my lights now have a mind of their own

so i am now going to buy some pre-made 1.2m strips - 1 blue 1 white
will remove the front bar so i have more access into the tank as the gaps between bars is about 5" - not ideal really

suppose u learn as u go along and live with what u built before realising ur mistakes

I guess so - Thanks for replying on Christmas Day anywho! :D HAve you got no condensation trays/covers on the tank?

I built an LED/RGB Canopy and light system for my cichlid tank.
Here's a a YOUTUBE video.

I made a 1 minute cross fade from moonlight to
daylight. Then to show just how subtle it was there is a 3 second "sunset.

I am about to build my big tank. 120 long. I will be making a canopy and the lights
will be in what I call a "trolley" It will sit inside the canopy,
able to push back an inch to feed, and sit front end up at an angle for full
access, and removable

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back