Spotted Puffers At My Lfs

muay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I called into my LFS and they have quite a few puffers in. On the tank they are named Spotted puffer, grows upto to 4", eats snails, prawns and blood worm, can be nippy. They are in fresh water.

The wife fell in love with them, but ive read so many conflicting stories about them i cant decide what to do. They are doing an special offer with a £5 discount if you buy 3. I have quite a big tank for them to go in and i would like to have a go at breeding them but as i said before i keep reading various things about them.

Can anyone shed any light on this ? I beleive they are spotted congo puffers but i would like to be sure.

Any info would be much appriciated.

Any aquarium that calls them "spotted puffers" is selling green spotted puffers, the two brackish/marine species. Unless the retailer can tell you their Latin name, I wouldn't trust them to know that the species on sale is freshwater or brackish water. Why? Because if they don't know what species they have, they could have bought anything from their wholesaler.

Tetraodon schoutedeni is very rare in the trade. If sold, it'll be sold under that name or as the Congo spotted puffer. Telling Tetraodon schoutedeni from Tetraodon nigroviridis is extremely difficult. If it arrives at all, Tetraodon schoutedeni will come in with fish from Central Africa, specifically the Congo. It won't come in with generic fish from Southeast Asia or the usual fish farms.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for the info. I actually thought that could be the case as when i first saw them i came home and researched them and GSP came up. The things that confuses me is that they looked healthy and happy and they were in fresh water, hence thinking they were a different species. I think ill ask them more when i go back.

Hi. They looked very similar to the one right at the bottom of your last post. They were all around 2" or slightly more or less. I still havnt purchased any yet as i would like to be sure ofwhat species they really are.

Well if they were over an inch then they weren't DP's. Can you not get a pic and post them on here?

Lisa x

Most reactions

Back