Spot on Black Molly

We decided to follow Colin T’s advice and instructions and are starting the salt bath as soon as Linda returns with proper salt.
Don't move the fish into a salt bath. Just treat the entire tank with salt. Any diseases are in the tank and you need to kill those. If you move the fish into a smaller container to treat in a salt bath, then move it back to the main tank, the fish gets reinfected back in the main tank.

Salt baths also stress the fish. You chase it around in the main tank, catch it and move it to a smaller container for however long, then catch it and put it back in the main tank. Every time you chase it you stress it. Every time you catch it you can potentially harm the fish and damage its skin allowing more disease organisms in to infect the fish. Leave the fish in the main tank and treat that.

Don't move the fish into a salt bath. Just treat the entire tank with salt. Any diseases are in the tank and you need to kill those. If you move the fish into a smaller container to treat in a salt bath, then move it back to the main tank, the fish gets reinfected back in the main tank.

Salt baths also stress the fish. You chase it around in the main tank, catch it and move it to a smaller container for however long, then catch it and put it back in the main tank. Every time you chase it you stress it. Every time you catch it you can potentially harm the fish and damage its skin allowing more disease organisms in to infect the fish. Leave the fish in the main tank and treat that.
Poor choice of words. I was being cute. I did not remove the fish from the tank. I removed 7 gallons of water from the tank and Linda turned it into a salt solution using the formula based on your instructions. The salt solution was strong enough for the entire tank and was added slowly over a three to four hour period to avoid any shock potential. I was referring to the tank now becoming a salt bath but was vague because I am cute even though when I look into the mirror it is not apparent.

What disturbs me about this potential fish pandemic is our maintenance is intensive. I can find no logical reason for the issue to appear. It is not like we have a gain of fungal infection lab in our closet.

I am very interested in finding the causation because the infection is a symptom that something is awry.

It could be excess mucous produced by the fish to cover a minor injury but need a clear picture of it to be able to ID it properly.

The first picture in post #1 has an orange and black platy that is covered in excess mucous. It looks like part of the tail is missing too. That would indicate a water quality problem or something in the water irritating the fish. It could be heavy metals, chemicals, some sort of residue from your skin if you use liquid soap, moisturiser, hand sanitiser, etc. Or it could be a really bad case of an external protozoan infection. Salt can treat the protozoa (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water for 2 weeks). If it's something in the water then it's a matter of figuring out what. Your basic water quality appears good (no ammonia or nitrite and low nitrate) and the pH, GH and KH are good for the livebearers.

I would run salt for 2 weeks and see what happens. If there's still a problem after that, look into the water supply and what might be on your skin or in buckets and hoses used for cleaning the tank.

Is he always keeping his fins clamped like on your pictures ?

It could be excess mucous produced by the fish to cover a minor injury but need a clear picture of it to be able to ID it properly.

The first picture in post #1 has an orange and black platy that is covered in excess mucous. It looks like part of the tail is missing too. That would indicate a water quality problem or something in the water irritating the fish. It could be heavy metals, chemicals, some sort of residue from your skin if you use liquid soap, moisturiser, hand sanitiser, etc. Or it could be a really bad case of an external protozoan infection. Salt can treat the protozoa (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water for 2 weeks). If it's something in the water then it's a matter of figuring out what. Your basic water quality appears good (no ammonia or nitrite and low nitrate) and the pH, GH and KH are good for the livebearers.

I would run salt for 2 weeks and see what happens. If there's still a problem after that, look into the water supply and what might be on your skin or in buckets and hoses used for cleaning the tank.
The small black and orange fish in the photo is a juvinile female sword about 6 wk old. I am certain of it because we witnessed the birth and kept and another one. No Platty in our tanks.

The salt is apparently working as the spot in question is greatly diminished today.

No mucus upon very close examination. I think some of the issue is my inability with a phone camera.

Most reactions

Back