Splotched skiffia

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Overhere a short video of my splotched skiffia. This splitfin species belongs to the goodeid family. You won't find these real livebearers at an average lfs. Most goodeids are real fin nippers and do have a certain kind of aggression in them. But these splitfins are friendly.
Like most of these splitfins from Mexico, it's better to keep them at low temperatures. And they need a period of rest during the winter season which can be established by keeping them between 12-18°C.
Goodeids belong to the real livebearers (viviparous), unlike the pvoviviparous livebearers where most common livebearers belong to.

They are cool fish, and cutely chubby! What are the tank and water requirements for these fish?

They are cool fish, and cutely chubby! What are the tank and water requirements for these fish?
They aren't really demanding. But the tank can be planted or even non planted. These fish don't really give a damn. But what's important is that there's a moderate till even no water flow at the surface. if you choose to have a water flow, it should only be at the surface. They don't really like to have too much movement in the water itself.
And they should be kept at temperature rates between 18 - 22°C and during the winter season it preferable to keep them between 12 - 18°C. If you keep them at higher temperatures during a longer period, there life ccycle will be shortened. These splitfins live at higher altitudes from the mountain areas where it's colder. And they need clean water. If there's too much decay of plants or too much waste, give them a water change.
Like most splifins, this species will have a gestation period between 6-8 weeks. And the number of fry are small till moderate but their body size is bigger than most newborns of ovoviviparous livebearers.

They aren't really demanding. But the tank can be planted or even non planted. These fish don't really give a damn. But what's important is that there's a moderate till even no water flow at the surface. if you choose to have a water flow, it should only be at the surface. They don't really like to have too much movement in the water itself.
And they should be kept at temperature rates between 18 - 22°C and during the winter season it preferable to keep them between 12 - 18°C. If you keep them at higher temperatures during a longer period, there life ccycle will be shortened. These splitfins live at higher altitudes from the mountain areas where it's colder. And they need clean water. If there's too much decay of plants or too much waste, give them a water change.
Like most splifins, this species will have a gestation period between 6-8 weeks. And the number of fry are small till moderate but their body size is bigger than most newborns of ovoviviparous livebearers.
They sounds super interesting. I will have to see if I can find some online, or if my LFS can get some in. I will have a 25 gallon free this weekend probably, and wasn't sure what to do with it.

The chubby ones are females.
They sounds super interesting. I will have to see if I can find some online, or if my LFS can get some in. I will have a 25 gallon free this weekend probably, and wasn't sure what to do with it.
Some males do have large patches of black on them. But they can also show some golden patches. And they'll leave their fry alone.
they do look fat compared to others, how large to they get?
Well, the chubby ones are females. Most are pregnant overhere. They'll grow up to 5 cm. But they can have a max of 8 cm but most will reach 5 cm.

Most reactions

Back