Spikes In Levels?

jpjagged

Reaction score
what can be the cause in spikes in different levels in my tank, such as nitrite without any of the other levels being off or bad?

hi

If your nitrite is high chances are your ammonia was high, but you didnt notice. Decaying plants can cause excessive nitrite levels, but normally they cause high Nitrate levels.

If it is high, do a water change asap.

What is it at ?

hi

If your nitrite is high chances are your ammonia was high, but you didnt notice. Decaying plants can cause excessive nitrite levels, but normally they cause high Nitrate levels.

What is it at ?

it was reading at .5 ppm and the ammonia levels have been reading 0 the last 2 weeks since i got back. i do have some plants that are dying slowly... those unfortunately have not been a forte of mine, i may need new lighting and to add co2 some way, but i have been keeping up on keeping the filter clean of any dead plant matter daily and any that would be loose in my tank

just got done doing a partial water change of about 10 gal will see tomorrow if it comes down a bit or not

hi

What is it at ?

it was reading at .5 ppm and the ammonia levels have been reading 0 the last 2 weeks since i got back. i do have some plants that are dying slowly... those unfortunately have not been a forte of mine, i may need new lighting and to add co2 some way, but i have been keeping up on keeping the filter clean of any dead plant matter daily and any that would be loose in my tank

just got done doing a partial water change of about 10 gal will see tomorrow if it comes down a bit or not

it depends what size your tank is as just saying you've done 10 gal isn't enough info. if its a 20 gal tank and you changed 10 gal (50%) in theory your nitrie should come down to around .25 (half / 50% of .5). Whereas if you had a 40 gal for instance it wouldn't lower the nitrites as much !! hope that makes sense !!

cheers

charlton

[/quote]

it depends what size your tank is as just saying you've done 10 gal isn't enough info. if its a 20 gal tank and you changed 10 gal (50%) in theory your nitrie should come down to around .25 (half / 50% of .5). Whereas if you had a 40 gal for instance it wouldn't lower the nitrites as much !! hope that makes sense !!

cheers

charlton
[/quote]

40 gal tank

so you've just done about a 25% w/c so i should imagine your level will still be way above the recommended max of .25. either do regular 25% changes until it lowers it enough or maybe carry out about 50% but make sure the ph and temp of your tap water is the same as whats in the tank cos you don't want to shock any of your fish that are in there !!

Most reactions

Back