Spawning

Dakota Ice

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My pandas still continually spawn (but always just after I spend 2 days planting HC and then only 1 out of 6 eggs is fertile) and was wondering if I added any guppies if that would affect how often they spawn. Right now I have 4 in a 20 gallon tall all to themselves fed shrimp and algae tabs.

Also, I'm about to go get some more in about 20 minutes. I think I want 5 more, making a total of 9. Is that too much? There are no other fish in the tank except (hopefully) four guppies.

Thanks! :)

You probably dont have enough males- most cory species need more males than fms to get all the eggs fertilized.

I have one male and he's the smallest. Barely 3/4 of an inch if that. I don't see how they can breed at all this young..

However, my first batch of eggs every single egg was fertile. It just went down hill from there. The second batch of eggs had a couple out of 5 or so that were fertile. Ever since then I just find masses of eggs all over the tank. I found 15+ a couple minutes ago and not a single one was fertile.

hi dakota ice,how are you able to tell if the eggs are fertile straight away?when my peppers lay eggs (every other day)they all look pretty clear to start with & over the course of a few days the fry starts to develop & the eggs change in colour etc.maybe you should just give the eggs a little bit longer b4 you decide if there fertile or not.

not all eggs will be fertelised and alot depends on how many eggs they lay in a batch.do you witness them doing the T position?if so then i would imagine that a few of the eggs are fertile.

TwoTankAmin is probaly right that you need some more males to up the chances of all the eggs being fertelised,saying that tho,my pepper fm always Ts with the same male.

9 corys sounds good to me (how are the new ones setteling in?)!! when my babies are big enough to go in with the adults il have 10 in my main tank.

i dont think adding guppies will stop your pandas from spawning.i use to have 4 large goldfish in with my corys & they laid eggs once a month.since i put the goldies in a pond & added white cloud mountain minnows my corys have spawned every other day.so it shouldnt affect them much if at all.

shaz :)

I got 5 more today =D they're all settling in. I have a question though - the four I had before these 5 are a dark, rich tan color outside the black markings and the new ones are pale as ghosts. Why is this? Will they color up over time? Gave them some bloodworms and they pretty much exploded themselves with them!
Here's a pic of most of the gang, you can really see the differences in color-
color.jpg

^ Sorry for the crud pic. You can see the original four in there, the color is so drastically different. =S

flum, the way I can tell instantly if the eggs are fertile or not is if there is a white dot in the middle. Generally infertile eggs are white, not clear or tan, with a white spot in the middle. They fungus in a day or so. All the eggs I predicted were infertile this way were indeed infertile. I'm sure others will agree this is true.

I got 5 more today =D they're all settling in. I have a question though - the four I had before these 5 are a dark, rich tan color outside the black markings and the new ones are pale as ghosts. Why is this? Will they color up over time? Gave them some bloodworms and they pretty much exploded themselves with them!
Here's a pic of most of the gang, you can really see the differences in color-

flum, the way I can tell instantly if the eggs are fertile or not is if there is a white dot in the middle. Generally infertile eggs are white, not clear or tan, with a white spot in the middle. They fungus in a day or so. All the eggs I predicted were infertile this way were indeed infertile. I'm sure others will agree this is true.

Wait awhile the Pandas will eventually turn the same color. They can change the color of their bodies slightly to better fit in with their environment, I have seen this with my Pandas. In one aquarium I have white sand and the other dark brown rocks, the pandas I keep in the dark brown rocks are darker than those in the sand. It is actually quite cool to see. In a week or so you will not be able to tell the difference between your 4 original and your 5 new. Good luck with your spawning.

Rez B)

Most reactions

Back