Spawn? Modaz Your Needed!

as said the ones with red fins are cambodian, a gene that is highly dominent and also has a good potential of producing marbles . the girl that isnt cambodian is simply a wash with very slight marblng to her body (the black) she does seem to carry the BF gene but she also has what is called the Polka Dot. this is where you get spot patches of colour on pale dominent colours,white or celophane. The male in bettys shows the polka dot patches but i would like to see more on him though to be seen as a nice polka dot.

thanks!! modaz they are CT too, if i breed these two

2jg9wkw.jpg

PlatinumCambodianSD.jpg

what do you expect i would get?

and is ther a site that says the dominant and recessive traits on it?

as said the ones with red fins are cambodian, a gene that is highly dominent and also has a good potential of producing marbles . the girl that isnt cambodian is simply a wash with very slight marblng to her body (the black) she does seem to carry the BF gene but she also has what is called the Polka Dot. this is where you get spot patches of colour on pale dominent colours,white or celophane. The male in bettys shows the polka dot patches but i would like to see more on him though to be seen as a nice polka dot.

thanks!! modaz they are CT too, if i breed these two

2jg9wkw.jpg

PlatinumCambodianSD.jpg

what do you expect i would get?

and is ther a site that says the dominant and recessive traits on it?

It's not as simple as dominant and recessive when you're concerned about how various traits will inherit (ie. 'what will I get if I cross...')

Firstly the basics, which I'm pretty sure you know but I'll go over it anyway.

The code for a particular trait is made up of two alleles... think of alleles as spots where genes can go. Any betta will have two genes for each trait. A dominant gene is written as a capital letter (D) and a recessive gene as a lowercase letter (d). A betta with genetic code DD is homozygous for the dominant trait, and obviously will show that trait. A betta with genetic code dd is homozygous for the recessive trait and will show the recessive. A betta that is Dd is said to be heterozygous, or [dominant] split for [recessive]. So a red betta that is split for cambodian carries one copy of the red gene and one copy of the cambodian gene. It will be red, and there is no sign that it's carrying the cambodian gene because the gene is masked and not displayed. (This is a good reason to buy from breeders - knowing the genetic history of the fish.) But it can still pass this gene on, so if you breed it to a cambodian or another fish that is split for cambodian, you might get some cambodians back. You can predict these outcomes using punnet squares. I can't demonstrate them on here with the formatting of this post so if you don't know what they are (I'm pretty sure you do though) google it.

Now if it would stay like that, genetics would be easy, but it doesn't. The big one is codominance - when you have two genes that occupy the same allele set, but they are equally dominant (let's call them D and X this time.) So obviously DD and XX would result in fish displaying traits D and X respectively. But DX would result in a mixture. An example of this is the complicated combtail/crowntail genetics which I don't fully understand but I believe it is codominance that causes it - if you breed a crowntail with anything else, you end up with a fringe-finned betta (a combtail) - slight ray extensions over the top of whatever tailtype you crossed with the crowntail.

On top of this, there are a lot of traits that are controlled by more than one gene - for example, there is not a 'halfmoon gene'. For a fish to be halfmoon you need the appropriate genes for ray straightness, ray splitting (number of branches), degree of webbing between rays, length of fins, and the 180 degree spread. If one of these genes is missing you don't get a halfmoon. I believe there are also colours like this and I don't fully understand it.

www.bettas4all.nl - helpful links in the genetics section. They go over a lot of what is dominant, what's recessive, and as much as is known about how traits that aren't this straightforward inherit.

thanks!

i know about the punnet squares!

i make them for my plant crosses. also we are going over more genetic stuff in school. :good:

like F1=first fillial

an that recessive dosent show up untill the F2
like DT? :unsure:

Recessive CAN show up before F2, it just depends on what crosses you make. Ie dominant x recessive:

DD x dd = 100% Dd in F1 (which are displaying dominant, recessive is masked.)

Then in F2 (Dd x Dd), you will get 25% dd, so your recessive trait shows up again.

But say your first cross was Dd x dd. In that case, F1 will give you 50% Dd and 50% dd, so you will get back your recessive trait - fairly strongly - in F1.

Recessive CAN show up before F2, it just depends on what crosses you make. Ie dominant x recessive:

DD x dd = 100% Dd in F1 (which are displaying dominant, recessive is masked.)

Then in F2 (Dd x Dd), you will get 25% dd, so your recessive trait shows up again.

But say your first cross was Dd x dd. In that case, F1 will give you 50% Dd and 50% dd, so you will get back your recessive trait - fairly strongly - in F1.

thats what we just learned in school

DD= purebred dominant
dd=purebred recessive
Dd=hybrid dominant

and we made punnet squares crossing some monkes peas to see what color they were

:good: thanks!

Most reactions

Back