Spawn Diary F1 - George & Pearl

otherworldone

Reaction score
This is my first spawning attempt since I had to get out of the hobby a few years ago. I was anxious to get some baby fishies to watch grow, so my choices of breeding stock were quite limited this time. Anyway, here goes:

The father of this spawn is George, my HM from Thailand. As you can probably see from the picture, he is dark green on black with a white BF pattern. His tail is a full 180 spread and his dorsal is nice and full as well. He has a pretty good mask, too.

MINE002a.jpg

The mother of this spawn is Pearl, an opaque white female I got from Marianne Lewis in Canada. She has very clean color. The corners of her tail are round, but she has a nearly HM-type spread. Although I picked her out, this one was part of a Christmas gift from a family member.

2a.jpg

I started conditioning the male before the female ever arrived, but the female was only conditioned for one week prior. Both were in full view of the other during the conditioning period. I was concerned about the lack of bubble-blowing by the male during the entire pre-spawning period, but decided to continue anyway.

The pair were placed in a 10-gallon tank filled to 6 inches on Sunday Jan. 15th. The female was placed in a glass chimney that allowed some water exchange at the bottom. The tank was heavily planted with java moss and floating live plants. The plants, snails and some scuds (came with some of the plants) were established in the tank for about one month (less for some plants). The sponge filter was added during the conditioning period and ammonia levels monitored for establishment of filtration before spawning. After the two were placed in the tank, I slowly raised the temperature to about 80 degrees F.

The male still did not seem interested in building a bubble nest, though he was still QUITE interested in the female. Since the tank was well-planted and the female seemed so eager to be loose, I released her after only a few hours. The male ran after her and then ran away several times while the female seemed to ignore him. He didn't start getting nippy until a couple of hours later.

The only sign of a bubble nest I could find the next day were a handful of much-too-large bubbles bunched together under some foliage at the water surface. I was getting more and more concerned for the lack of a nest. But I'd heard of bettas spawning with no nest at all before, so I just waited.

That afternoon I whitnessed the FEMALE nudging the MALE to embrace. He followed her cue and I kept an eye on them for awhile. Since the female seemed to have such good instincts about the embracing part of the whole ritual, the first few embraces weren't nearly as clumsy as I'd seen before. But again the male had me concerned as after every embrace he immediately went back to flaring at her.

When the eggs started to fall...that's when I REALLY got worried. The male wasn't trying to pick up ANY of the eggs. As soon as he recovered from each embrace, while she was still 'paralized', he would go right back to flaring at her and even nose her like he was going to bite. Once in a while she would grab a few eggs off the bottom and try to put them in the nonexistent nest, with him trying to attack her at the same time.

This continued for a couple of hours (maybe an hour and a half) before I saw the male looking at the eggs for the first time. He scooped a few up while I watched and to my utter disappointment, he began SWALLOWING them rather than blowing them to the surface.

At that point I quickly and carefully placed glass chimneys over each of them. Taking a chance on salvaging this spawn, I carefully to removed both fish to recover and began brainstorming a way to save the eggs. I grabbed the cap off of a 4-ounce specimen jar and suspended it at the water's surface with tape.

Using a disposable pippette, I gathered up all the eggs I could find and placed them in this lid. The idea was that if I could keep the eggs close enough to the surface and maybe even get some of them affloat, they would have enough oxygen to develop. Once all the eggs were in the lid, I continued tending to them for several hours. I removed all signs of debris from the water in the lid and replaced the water with clean water from the tank. Late that night I also managed to get most of the eggs to float by slowly blowing bubbles in the lid water with the pippette (don't ask me, I probably couldn't do it again if I tried).

Thankfully, all my hard work seems to be paying off! At about 11:30pm Tuesday Jan. 17th I saw the first signs of movement. A few of the eggs started to 'rock' intermittently. By the same time Wed. night Jan. 18th all of the healthy eggs (about 50 or so, I think) were hatched and the fry are now hanging along the side of the tank, from plants and the styrofoam cup half. I had to siphon in a little more water to let them drift out from the lid so I could remove it (some were getting between the glass and the tape). But even without the male to pick them up if they fall, most of them seem to be keeping themselves at the surface. Of course, they are slowly getting spread out from their hatching spot.

So far this has been an interesting spawn. I've just started trying to hatch brine shrimp for them since I know the shrimp take longer to hatch at room temperature and the fry will be freeswimming in a couple days. But I've already got a couple of microworm cultures established enough for feeding and two very large, very well-established vinegar eel cultures ready. Also, there is an entire sub-ecoculture already established in the breeding tank thanks to the live plants (especially the java moss). So, their first live foods are already swimming around in their tank with them. hee hee :D

I'm hoping for some good solid whites and nice BF's from this spawn. It will be nice if they take after their dad where fins are concerned, too. :p

Anyways, I'll try to keep this thing updated as much as possible. I may have to borrow a better camera from somebody, though. I don't have my good camera anymore and the cheapie I have now can't take pictures of fish worth a crap. :/ *sigh*

I guess I should probably add a few details about the conditioning of the breeding pair. I have each of my adult fish in a half-gallon Rubbermaid canister. These work well for me since they are still short enough to fit in a bookcase shelf without having to squeeeeeze in to feed them. I keep the lids on them loosely (planning to get holes drilled in them when I can) to keep jumpers from committing accidental suicide. :S

Both of my breeders were conditioned entirely on live foods; mostly grindal worms since I still don't have white worms to feed them, some fruit flies (when I could get them to eat the dang things), then they had an abundance of live food available when they were placed in the spawning tank. Yes, I gave them some grindal worms and FF's in the spawning tank. I also put some springtails in there with them in case they might eat those.

Anyways...I never take my fish out of their containers to clean them. I use an airline hose connected to a short length of rigid tubing the same size as a siphon to remove 80-90% of the water every day. I use a second siphon exactly like that one to siphon in new water while I work on the next fishes container.

I also have a nifty little scrubber thing that I put together from a bamboo chop stick and part of an algae scrubber. I use that to very carefully scrub the scum from the bottom of the containers once in a while. The algae pad was cut into quarters first and then I rounded the corners dug out a little spot in the middle for the tip of the chop stick and used aquarium silicone to 'glue' it together.

I figured this way I could cut way down on the stress the fish suffer during daily maintenance. Since stress brakes down the immune system and makes the fish more vulnerable to disease, I look at it as a safeguard. And by siphoning in new water through a standard airline tube, any change in temperature or water chemistry is more subtle. I do age my new water in jugs for at least 24 hours, though, at the same temperature as the fish are kept.

Anyways...

:D

I had a 1/2 giant PK that I wanted to breed and just wouldn't bubble nest although he was interested in the female someone suggested putting in anther male into the tank (in a jar of course) to get him to work extra hard to tempt the female ........ and would you believe it he started his nest.

Jealousy will do it even for fish. You could try that next time that way the fish do the work and you can relax a bit before the real work starts ... feeding the babies etc.

Good luck with your brood, I'll be interested what colours and fin forms you end up with. :hyper:

Ugh, I had the same problem with a copper CT male of mine. My theory is that he was too old, but he may have just been a crappy father, who knows :p
Good luck with the eggs, hopefully some will make it! If I have to guess I'd say you might get some fry like the male, but there's no way of telling for sure without knowing the background of the fish... maybe some pastels?

UPDATE: Last time I got a decent count, there were about 50 fry. As of this morning, a number of them are freeswimming. I started feedings with vinegar eels and microworms, but my first batch of brine shrimp still aren't hatching. :grr:

As for using another male to inspire jealousy...I did know about that one, but didn't have another male on hand. I took a small mirror and taped it to the outside of the tank, hoping that would work the same way. He did flare at his own reflection and dance around the mirror quite a bit. But he still never built a nest.

Both parents are recovering nicely. George seems to be fully recovered...of course, he didn't sustain any real damage that I could see. Pearl, on the other hand, was badly damaged by the time I removed them both. Her anal fin was especially shredded and she was missing a number of scales. It will take some time for her to recover from the lost scales, but her fins are healing quite fast. I was really worried about her for a while there, but she seems to be getting her spunk back. :D

George isn't a pet store fish, though. I got him from Thailand. He was about four or five months old when he arrived. He may have been as old as six months at the time of spawning, but no older than that, I'm sure. So the lack of a bubble nest couldn't have been age related. :/

I forgot to note another experimental part of this spawn.

I had read that fish that are exposed to temperature fluctuations early in life (such as the normal day/night fluctuation they would experience in the wild) tend to be more tolerant of temperature fluctuations in adulthood. So when it became apparent that the eggs were not all lost, I decided to use this spawn to experiment with that.

I began allowing the water temperature to drop down to room temp at night when the eggs began to show signs of imminent hatching. Rather than risk unnecessary drafts over the water surface or disturbance of the water itself, I simply unplug the heater at night. The heater is left unplugged for about 8 hours every night and plugged back in every morning. But the thermostat in my house is not turned down at night. So when the tank heater is plugged back in, the water temperature hasn't dropped more than it would in shallow waters in the wild where these fish are native.

I expect I'll have some loss due to this part of the experimentation. But hopefully I won't lose many. And the rest of the spawn should be stronger fish because of it. :D

It has been brought to my attention that my usual colored font is not easy to read. I would be happy to repost the details so far, if that will help. Otherwise, in the interest of conserving space, I will simply continue on from here. :D

YAY, congrats on the fry!! :D
Personally, I do think temp fluctuations make for stronger, healthier fish. Last summer I raised a batch of fry in the unairconditioned storage room of our garage and they all turned out great. When I did water changes I'd add water straight out of the water hose, which was about 5 degrees lower than the temp of their old water, and none of them even seemed to notice.

:wub: Beautiful parents! It's too bad they weren't more interested in caring for their kids... those little fry are lucky to have you!! Gawd. I never would've thought of that, ever. The Dad is really amazingly beautiful, he's like, a Black Orchid BF. I'll bet that you will get lots of marbles!

Well...had a lot of trouble with my brine shrimp. Finally got some to start hatching yesterday. Unfortunately, I cannot finish this project.

After thinking that my marriage was over and there was nothing I could do to save it...I am now reconciling with my husband. However, this means that I will have to relocate...again...to where he is attending school...and sooner rather than later. But I will not be able to take my fish with me.

The fry are just a week old now. So, I know it will be risky to move them. But I can't put off trying to salvage my marriage for another two months.

I do have shipping supplies if I absolutely must ship them. But it would be best for them if I could find someone who could pick them up so they wouldn't be bagged and boxed any longer than absolutely necessary. So, here is my question...

Is anyone in the vicinity of Mason County in Washington state? And is anyone interested in adopting these little guys?

I don't know exactly when I will be flying out at the moment. But it could be as soon as the next couple of weeks. I am simply waiting for my husband to get my ticket and let me know when I'm leaving.

I may already have homes for the adult fish with family members, but if anyone is interested in taking them, I would prefer that they go to someone who....knows what they're doing. ;)

Besides the parents of this spawn, I also have a gold female. All three of the adults are somewhere around 5-6 months old...I think.

If anyone is interested in taking them for me, please PM me. Thanks. I will try to continue posting updates on their progress as long as I have them.

Most reactions

Back