Sound Shockwaves May Kill Fish?

ConMan226

Reaction score
Hi, i am soon going to be setting up my old 55 gallon and cant wait. The only thing is that i am setting it up in a room where me and my friends like to have band practice. We normally have about 2 or 3 100 watt guitar and bass amps cranked along with a drum set (which is pretty damn loud), and I have always heard that the shock waves from heavy sound could stress the fish out to the point of death. I just wanted to make sure if this is true or if it only affects certain types of fish. Please leaves any suggestions, thank you.

Drummer used to breed fish, usually oscars. Room above practice area. Marshall full stack, 50wx2 heads. Acoustic 4x15 pushed by a 300wRandall bass head. Double bass drum kit, I'm not up on drum gear, so I'm not sure what he was smashing, but used to break some really thick sticks on a regular basis. Loud metal didn't bother them, breeding fish are generally happy fish.

I guess it will really depend on the type fish you want to keep. If you get fish that are shy and skittish, then they are mush more likely to be stressed by the noise (music) than other fish. Although I have never kept oscars like in the situation Tolak mentioned, I don't think they fall into the shy and skittish catagory.

I'm sure some species are much more skittish than others, this would be worth considering. I've built racks in my fishroom with fish in tanks, ripping down 3/4" plywood with a circular saw & such. This often involves setting up & switching tanks right afterwards. I've had angels spawn a day or two after this, and don't recall any losses over the years. I have a Marshall mini stack next to my oscar tank, never bothers him, maybe oscars like to rock out.

Another thing to consider is what the fish are accustomed to, similar to many other animals. I live in the city, with a street and a high school behind my house. Everything from the usual traffic to marching band practice, parades, football games, it gets wild at times. My dogs have seen this since they were pups and could care less.

They came from a breeder up north, in the middle of nowhere, 80 acre farm. I'm sure if one of her adult dogs came down here the commotion would drive them nuts.

I would acclimate any new fish to this slowly if possible, keep an eye out for any reaction that might indicate stress. Practice at a lower volume at first, it shouldn't be long before the properly chosen species could care less.

ive got my surround sound system above my tank 3x 200w speakers and my 250w sub about 2 inch from the tank cichlid tank doesnt seem to bother them.

about 5ft away is my galaxy rasbora/ celestrial pearl danio tank and it doest seem to bother them either

i know its not on the same noise level as a drum kit etc but i would say wild galaxy rasbora are in the skittish/shy category

Thanks you for the info!!! I will be setting up my tank now, it will be a nice add-on to the jam room

Most reactions

Back