Sorry to see them go.

elgecko

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Where to start........

Before I had gotten into discus I had what I thought was a very nice planted tank. here's a link to it: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=24330
With the temp increase and more feeding required for the fish, my plants started to look bad. Many died because they could not take the temp increase. Even with twice a week gravel cleaning and water changes I could not keep on top of the bio load of the fish.
I guess plants are more important to me. I'm sad to say that the pictures of the following 3 discus are going to a new home on friday. I wish I had more room to set up another tank for them. I really like the Tangerines. Why couldn't one of them be breeding with one of my Pigeonbloods.
I'm keeping my breeding pair of Pigeonbloods in a 29 gallon tank that I'm in the process of setting up, and will hopefully be getting my other tank in the condition it once was with nice lush green growth.
Sorry to see them go. :byebye:

Attachments

• bye2.jpg
    bye2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 52
Here's the Tangerines.

Attachments

• bye.jpg
    bye.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 34
you have awesome looking discus, sorry to hear them go :(
I second your choice though, I would go with appearence over fish :nod:

The discus are lovely- it's obvious you took good care of them. :nod: :wub:

Hope to see pictures of the planted tank. :)

Ah Elgecko :sad: Discus are such a beautiful fish and I am also sorry to see your lovelies go :byebye: BUT - you are left with quite a few, right? And your planted tank is so brilliant that you should feel that you've made the right decision!

:)

i dont understand how 3 discus and temp change can effect the plants that much.

someone nice enough to explain?

Sorry to hear that, :( I don't know if I could make the decision to give up my fish over plants.
It's good that you are keeping some of them at least :)
Off topic, how did you get the discus to all line up like that in the photo for your avatar? that's amazing :wub:

i dont understand how 3 discus and temp change can effect the plants that much.

someone nice enough to explain?

Discus produce massive amounts of wast, although I thought wast was sort of good for plants, I can see having to vacuum it up every couple of says from the substrate bothering the plants very much. Also, discus prefer tanks that are around 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32C), which can have a drastic affect on plants and other fish in the tank. :/

Tonight is the last night I get to see these 3.
Since I've had them for over 8 months with no problems, I hate to get rid of them.
I'm hoping that this weekend I will start to get the 29 gallon tank cycling for my breeding pair to go into. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to place a thin layer of stone in the tank, or go with a bare bottom.

In a few months when I hopefully get my planted tank back into it's former glory, I'll post pictures.

FrankSlapperinni,
I got lucky the one day when I was photographing them and they all got in a line.

Discus produce massive amounts of wast, although I thought wast was sort of good for plants, I can see having to vacuum it up every couple of says from the substrate bothering the plants very much.

Fish waste inhibits photo-synthesis if it clogs up the plants, and is not removed. The fish keeper must disturb the plants manually, or by using fish like cories/loaches that will disturb the plants for him, so that the waste will not get caught in the plants and will be picked up by the filter.

I'm sorry to hear about your discus. :( It looks like you took good care of them though, and I would make the same choice you did.

Most reactions

Back