Sorry I Know This Has Been Asked Before But.....

how many she have in the end?

After approx 50 I waited a couple of hours and there was no more, she was very distressed and was flipping about alot so I decided it would be better to let her back into the main tank and take the risk that if she had anymore they would probably get eaten. She still looks very pregnant though and still has the gravid spot, is that normal?

There have been debates on whether or not females always show gravid spots even when not pregnant, from personal experience i have found this to be true i have had many virgin females show a gravid spot, i know there were virgin because i raised them myself.
As for her still looking pregnant it may just be because just before they give birth they begin to produce the eggs for the next batch.

Just wanted to update you that all babies are alive and well, I haven't had any die yet and there a week old today! Thanks for all your support!

Just wanted to update you that all babies are alive and well, I haven't had any die yet and there a week old today! Thanks for all your support!

Congrats :)

Just to let you know, there is a way you can stop the fry being eaten by doing this....

Turn the tank light out

Make sure the trap is at the side of the tank and if possible, place a lamp on the floor next to tank and turn it on...

Lay a cover over the tank but only have dropping down to the bottom of the trap, this way the fry will stay at bottom of trap where the light is ;)

A few will always get eaten but usually, the more time the mother drops, the less she will bother with the fry.. its younger fish that have thier first few drops that mainky eat thier young :)

Good luck :)

Wayne.

Thanks for that 5teady, I will bear that in mind. Is it true she will now have babies every few weeks for the next few months?

Thanks for that 5teady, I will bear that in mind. Is it true she will now have babies every few weeks for the next few months?

Females store sperm packets and will have fry for up to 5-6 months, they drop every 4-6 weeks, if you mark down the date she dropped, and then the next time and so on, you will see a pattern in her drops :)

Wayne.

Just to let you all know that as suspected one of my rainbow platys gave birth yesterday to approx. 60 fry! The other rainbow platy is due any day. I have now got over 100 fry and more on the way. Aaaaaaaaargh!

Most reactions

Back